Subject: [Iasa20] Terminology issue in mtgvenue

From: "Pete Resnick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 16:38:19 -0500

IASA 2.0 folks:

With my mtgvenue chair hat on: An issue has come up over in mtgvenue 
that I think really needs to be resolved by iasa20, and in particular 
not by the mtgvenue folks alone.

The Venue Selection document, 
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mtgvenue-iaoc-venue-selection-process/>, 
refers to "IASA" throughout. When written, the document presumed that we 
were working under IASA 1.0, and had references to RFC 4071. When our 
documents got to AUTH48, we realized that it was going to come out right 
on the heels of the IASA 2.0 docs and that it would be silly to publish 
only to have to turn around and fix things. The initial suggestion in 
mtgvenue was to pretty much do a global replace of "IASA" with "IETF 
LLC" (with some other editorial changes). The document editor's version 
with those edits is here: 
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/authors/rfc8491-auth48diff.html>. However, a 
few folks (and in particular, folks who are active in iasa20) noted that 
in fact "IASA" was correct, because under IASA 2.0, the LLC is under 
IASA, and that using "LLC" might be incorrect in some instances. 
Conversely, some folks thought that "LLC" was a clearer reference. As 
that discussion has evolved, your faithful mtgvenue chair is no longer 
sure that we've gotten this exactly right. On top of that, Alissa has 
indicated that it's probably better to have iasa20 figure out what 
terminology is appropriate to refer to the assorted entities, for the 
sake of all documents, not just mtgvenue's.

So, I would ask that the iasa20 WG review the above two documents and 
let us know whether we've got it right or wrong, and generally let us 
know which terminology should be used in which circumstances. I'm sure 
mtgvenue folks will pipe up with their concerns, but guidance should 
really be coming from a discussion in iasa20.

BTW: Don't worry about the fact that the document is in AUTH48 or 
whether it will need a new Last Call or whatever. Let's get the document 
correct first, and then we'll figure out what process knobs, lights, and 
buttons need to be operated.

Cheers,

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 21:51:46 +0000

Thanks for this heads-up, Pete! We in the IASA2 WG will put this in our work queue. I will take a look as co-chair early next week and try to actively start up list discussion on the details.

Jason

On 10/19/18, 5:38 PM, "iasa20 on behalf of Pete Resnick" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    IASA 2.0 folks:

    

    Cheers,
    
    pr
    
    _______________________________________________
    iasa20 mailing list
    [email-masked]
    https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iasa20

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 14:21:53 +0200

Is there any update on this? 

Thanks,
Alissa

> On Oct 19, 2018, at 11:51 PM, Livingood, Jason <[email-masked]> wrote:
>