Subject: Re: [Icar] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-allman-icar-wg-revcomm-00.txt

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:25:14 -0400

(catching up; alas ...)

(and, using my author, not wg-co-chair, hat)

> > http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-allman-icar-wg-revcomm-00.txt
> 
> This is an interesting concept and I agree it is worth a try.
> 
> How will this apply to non-WG drafts?

The easy answer is that "it doesn't".  

It's not clear to me that we need to mix WG and non-WG drafts in an
early review scheme.  That's not to say that non-WG drafts should not be
reviewed early.  It's to say that this draft (and more generally the
effort, IMO) is about helping the IETF work more smoothly.  Of course,
the IETF is involved in non-WG documents.  But, it seems like that could
work as a completely seperate process, with seperate review bodies and
criteria and etc.  That's not to say there couldn't be some common
ground, too --- just that I don't imagine every early review proposal
must apply to every situation.

> One element of SIRs that is missing, if we implemented both this
> and draft-alvestrand-icar-xarea-00.txt, is the notion of continuity.
> SIRs suggested that a reviewer should stay with a document
> through its life. If we set up both WG review teams (for early
> review) and Area review teams (for late review), we will lose
> this continuity. Also, we run a risk of not finding enough reviewers
> to staff all these teams.

Yep, that's a good assessment.

On the other hand, there is no explicit coupling between the two drafts
(that I know of).  I.e., if one setup a WG review committee then maybe
the later review bodies wouldn't be needed in practice; maybe the IESG
could handle things as they do today, but more effectively because they
are getting better quality due to cross-area review during the
life-cycle of the document.

> >     A committee is formed by consultation between the WG chairs and
> >     shepherding AD.  The WG chairs generate a list of potential members,
> >     and discuss with the AD about who might be appropriate. After an
> >     agreed upon list of members has been generated, the WG chairs
> >     contact the committee members to assess their willingness to serve.
> 
> I would add here that there will be a pointer to the team
> from the WG's charter page.

Good call.

allman

--
Mark Allman -- ICIR -- http://www.icir.org/mallman/