Subject: [iccrg] Call for Participation: Capacity Sharing Workshop (CSWS'13) at ICNP, Oct 7, Göttingen, Germany

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:50:32 +0200

[apologies if you receive multiple copies of this]
===========================================================================

                        Call for Participation
                        ----------------------

            On October 7, we invite you to participate in the

                  -----------------------------------
                  Capacity Sharing Workshop (CSWS'13)
                      In conjunction with ICNP'13
                    Oct 7, 2013, Göttingen, Germany
                  -----------------------------------

Program
-------
We have compiled an interesting program with 7 presentations and 3 keynotes:

   Managing Congestion and providing Assured Service Quality (ASQ)                      
      in a Tier1 IP network
    by Falk von Bornstaedt (Deutsche Telekom AG)

   TCP Friendly is an Oxymoron
    by Matt Mathis (Google)

   Reducing Internet Latency
    by Mat Ford (Internet Society)

Details of the program can be found on our workshop website:
http://icnp13.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/csws13/program.html

Workshop Objectives
-------------------
Internet data traffic continues to grow rapidly. In future it will not be 
cost-efficient anymore to extend the network resources in the same ratio than 
the traffic demand. Instead applications and transport layer mechanism need 
to seek new technologies to efficiently utilize available network resources, 
in particular resource allocation and flow management. In wireless networks, 
the problem is particularly relevant due to the inherently limited resources, 
which render a simple "throwing bandwidth at the problem" solution 
impossible.

This strong growth and continual changes in the traffic characteristics and 
usage behavior as well as a change in network operation raises questions on 
how to share limited capacity resources fairly and more efficiently. While 
efficiency is most important when resources are spare, fairness need to be 
evaluated based on the different quality requirements of the various Internet 
services that we have today. The challenge is to enable these different kinds 
of applications and to implement traffic management that maintains high 
degrees of resource utilization, a reasonable distribution of capacity 
without affecting transport protocol and application performance and impeding 
innovation and scalability.

Important Information
---------------------
Workshop date: Monday, Oct 7, 2013
ICNP Early registration deadline: Friday, Sep 6, 2013

Registration web page: 
http://icnp13.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/registration.html

Work shop web page: 
http://icnp13.informatik.uni-goettingen.de/csws13/

Location and venue
------------------
The conference will be held  at the Mathematical Institute of the 
Georg-August-University (address: Bunsenstr. 3-5, 37073 Goettingen).

Please note that the hotel rooms in Goettingen are rather limited
(indicating "ICNP 2013" if you book a conference-specific hotel room).

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the 
workshop organizers: 
[email-masked]

We are looking forward to see you in Goettingen!

Dirk Kutscher (NEC Laboratories Europe)
Mirja Kühlewind (University of Stuttgart)
================================================================================