Subject: [iccrg] Analytical Methods for Network Congestion Control

From: "Bebe Barrow" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 12:38:13 -0700

Dear ICCRG Mailing List Subscriber,

I am pleased to announce the latest title in Morgan & Claypool's series on
Communication Networks:

Analytical Methods for Network Congestion Control
Steven H. Low, California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
Paperback ISBN: 9781627057332, $64.95
eBook ISBN: 9781627055994
July 2017, 213 pages
https://doi.org/10.2200/S00778ED1V01Y201705CNT018

Abstract:

The congestion control mechanism has been responsible for maintaining
stability as the Internet scaled up by many orders of magnitude in size,
speed, traffic volume, coverage, and complexity over the last three decades.
In this book, we develop a coherent theory of congestion control from the
ground up to help understand and design these algorithms. We model network
traffic as fluids that flow from sources to destinations and model
congestion control algorithms as feedback dynamical systems. We show that
the model is well defined. We characterize its equilibrium points and prove
their stability. We will use several real protocols for illustration but the
emphasis will be on various mathematical techniques for algorithm analysis.

Specifically we are interested in four questions:

1. How are congestion control algorithms modelled?

2. Are the models well defined?

3. How are the equilibrium points of a congestion control model
characterized?

4. How are the stability of these equilibrium points analyzed?

For each topic, we first present analytical tools, from convex optimization,
to control and dynamical systems, Lyapunov and Nyquist stability theorems,
and to projection and contraction theorems. We then apply these basic tools
to congestion control algorithms and rigorously prove their equilibrium and
stability properties. A notable feature of this book is the careful
treatment of projected dynamics that introduces discontinuity in our
differential equations.

Even though our development is carried out in the context of congestion
control, the set of system theoretic tools employed and the process of
understanding a physical system, building mathematical models, and analyzing
these models for insights have a much wider applicability than to congestion
control.

Table of Contents: Preface / Acknowledgments / Notations / Congestion
Control Models / Equilibrium Structure / Global Stability: Lyapunov Method /
Global Stability: Passivity Method / Global Stability: Gradient Projection
Method / Local Stability with Delay / Bibliography / Author's Biography

Visit this title's abstract page on our website:

 <http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/abs/10.2200/S00778ED1V01Y201705CNT018>
http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/abs/10.2200/S00778ED1V01Y201705CNT018

Morgan & Claypool Bookstore Link:

http://www.morganclaypoolpublishers.com/catalog_Orig/product_info.php?produc
ts_id=1093

Series: Synthesis Lectures on Communication Networks

Editor: R. Srikant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

 <http://www.morganclaypool.com/toc/cnt/10/1>
http://www.morganclaypool.com/toc/cnt/10/1

Thank you.  Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Bebe Barrow

--

Bebe Barrow

Sales & Marketing Assistant

Morgan & Claypool Publishers

[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>