Subject: [iccrg] Call for Papers: ANRW '19

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:44:49 -0700

Call for Papers

Applied Networking Research Workshop 2019 (ANRW <https://irtf.org/anrw/>’19)
Date: July 22, 2019
Venue: Montreal, Canada

The ACM <https://www.acm.org/> and IRTF <https://irtf.org/> Applied
Networking Research Workshop 2019 (ANRW <https://irtf.org/anrw/> ’19) is an
academic workshop that provides a forum for researchers, vendors, network
operators, and the Internet standards community to present and discuss
emerging results in applied networking research. The workshop offers an
opportunity for academics to transition research back into IETF
<https://ietf.org/> standards and protocols and to find inspiration from
topics and open problems discussed at the IETF <https://ietf.org/>. The
workshop will consist of a mix of invited talks, submitted talks, and
submitted short papers.

   -

   Submitted talks are not-for-publication resubmissions of works that have
   been published elsewhere during the last 12 months. The goal here is to
   increase impact of previously published work. For a talk to be considered
   for presentation, please submit an extended abstract that is no longer than
   2 pages.
   -

   Short papers are publications that present new research that has not
   been previously published. For a short paper to be considered for
   publication, please submit work describing early/emerging results in a
   relevant topic area. There is a 6-page limit for short papers.

ANRW <https://irtf.org/anrw/> ’19 particularly encourages the submission of
results that could form the basis for future engineering work in the IETF
<https://ietf.org/>, that could help better specify Internet protocols,
that could change operational Internet practices, or that could influence
further research and experimentation in the IRTF <https://irtf.org/>. ANRW
<https://irtf.org/anrw/> ‘19 is sponsored by ACM <https://www.acm.org/>
SIGCOMM <https://sigcomm.org/>, and the Internet Research Task Force (IRTF
<https://irtf.org/>).
Topics of Interest

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to, applied work in the
following areas:

   -

   Development and deployment of new and improved transport protocols,
   secure protocols, routing protocols
   -

   Measurement and analysis of existing and new transport protocols, secure
   protocols, and routing protocols
   -

   Practical congestion control for heterogeneous networks and novel
   applications
   -

   Improvements to the security and privacy of Internet protocols
   -

   Measuring and understanding the behavior and transparency of the
   Internet, including censorship
   -

   Deployment and evolution of DNS, CDNs, anycast, and other wide-area
   services
   -

   Measurements and analysis of wide-area privacy risks and remediation
   -

   Approaches and efforts towards decentralizing and democratizing the
   Internet
   -

   Internet access in challenging environments
   -

   Protocols and APIs for new Internet applications
   -

   Better ways of specifying protocols, including usable techniques for
   protocol verification
   -

   Evolution of interconnection, and network management practices
   -

   Integration of programmable networking into the wide area
   -

   Interactions between emergent applications and existing network
   deployments
   -

   Approaches for wide-area monitoring, root-cause analysis, and debugging
   -

   New approaches to network management, operations, and control
   -

   Topics relevant to the standardization activities of related IETF
   <https://ietf.org/> working groups
   -

   Topics relevant to activity in related IRTF research groups.

Submission Types

ANRW <https://irtf.org/anrw/> ’19 accepts two types of submissions: talks
and short papers. Submissions are not anonymous. Authors of accepted talks
and short papers may also bring a poster presenting its content to the
workshop, for display and more in-depth discussion with interested
participants during the breaks.

   - Talks
      -

      Talk submissions are not-for-publication resubmissions of works that
      have been published elsewhere during the last 12 months. They may contain
      up to two pages of technical content, including figures, tables,
      appendices, optionally followed by unlimited additional pages for
      references and acknowledgements only. The two page limit is strictly
      enforced, even a single line exceeding two pages will lead to rejection
      without review. We expect talk submissions to describe the research at a
      high enough level to assess whether a talk on the topic would be suitable
      for the audience. Authors may also optionally attach the
published paper or
      technical report backing the submission; this attachment is for reference
      only and may not be reviewed.
      -

      Accepted talks can be presented without publication; however, authors
      can publish their extended abstract in the ACM Digital Library
      <https://libraries.acm.org/digital-library> if desired.
      - Short papers
      -

      Short paper submissions are suitable for short position papers, for
      starting a discussion on new technical ideas, to present very early
      results, or to present other topics of interest to the community
(software
      and tools, research initiatives or collaborative projects, major new
      funding vessels, etc.). They may contain up to six pages of content
      including figures, tables, and any appendices, optionally followed by a
      unlimited additional pages for references and acknowledgments only.
      -

      Accepted short papers will be presented during the workshop, and will
      be published in the ACM Digital Library
      <https://libraries.acm.org/digital-library>.

Paper Novelty

An accepted talk that is not published can be based on previously published
work, or can describe work currently under submission to another venue.

An accepted paper that is published must not be based on previously
published work, and cannot describe work that is currently under submission
to another venue. An accepted paper that is published also must not
plagiarize the work of its authors or of any other authors. The ACM Policy
and Procedures on Plagiarism
<https://www.acm.org/publications/policies/plagiarism> applies to the ANRW
<https://irtf.org/anrw/>, and action will be taken against submitters who
have engaged in such practices.

Papers accompanied by nondisclosure agreement requests will not be
considered for review or publication, nor ever be disclosed.
Formatting

All submissions must satisfy the following requirements:

   -

   Short papers: up to 6 pages for technical content (including appendices)
   + unlimited pages for references and acknowledgements.
   -

   Submitted talks: up to 2 pages for technical content + unlimited pages
   references and acknowledgements. Authors may optionally provide an
   attachment for reference purposes that will not be reviewed.
   -

   10-point font for main text; font used in other places (e.g., figures)
   should be no smaller than 9 point
   -

   Two-column format, with the size of each column being at most 3.33 x
   9.25 inches and the space between columns being at least 0.33 inches letter
   page size (8.5 x 11 inches)
   -

   Include names and affiliations of all authors on the title page (no
   anonymization).

Submissions that do not comply with these requirements will be rejected
without review. It is your responsibility to ensure that your submission
satisfies the above requirements. If you are using LaTeX, you can make use
of this template for ACM conference proceedings
<https://github.com/scyue/latex-sigcomm18>. Unlike the official template,
it only includes an example for conference proceedings. Note that you must
change from the default 9-point format to 10-point text.
Reviews

All submissions will be peer reviewed (single-blind). Reviews will be
shared with the authors.

Authors and TPC members provide conflict-of-interest information. It is
important that all authors of a submission are indicated in the submission
system and that all authors enter any conflicts of interest. Broadly, a
conflict of interest exists when:

   -

   You are currently employed at the same organization, have been
   previously employed at the same organization within the last twelve months,
   or are going to begin employment at the same organization.
   -

   You have a past or present professional relationship, such as thesis
   advisement, collaboration on a project, publication, or grant proposal
   within the past two years.

These are examples – use your own good judgment.
Important Dates

Paper submission deadline:  May 10, 2019
Paper notification deadline:  June 7, 2019
Camera-ready paper deadline:  June 21, 2019
Program CommitteeJana Iyengar (chair), Fastly
Phillipa Gill (chair), University of Massachusetts -- Amherst
TBD