Subject: [iccrg] The Second Workshop on the Future of Internet Transport (FIT 2020)

From: Naeem Khademi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:02:13 +0100

note: apologies in advance if you receive multiple copies of this CFP. We
think this is of interest of ICCRG.

*The Second Workshop on the Future of Internet Transport (FIT 2020)*

*Call for Papers*

Workshop homepage: https://networking.ifip.org/2020/workshops/fit-2020

To be held in conjunction with the IFIP Networking 2020
Conference (NETWORKING 2020, https://networking.ifip.org/2020/)
June 22, Paris, France

Over the last several decades and since its conception, the Internet
transport layer has gradually been ossified, where deployment of
new protocols and mechanisms has been extremely hard if not impossible.
Application developers have traditionally been bound to use either
stream-oriented connection-based reliable communication using TCP or
datagram-oriented connection-less unreliable communication using UDP,
and middleboxes have been mostly configured to allow traffic from these two
protocols only, and hence disincentivizing the application developers
to use any novel transport protocols and services (e.g., SCTP, DCCP, etc).
In recent years, this long-standing stalemate has been broken thanks to the
rapid progress made on several fronts amongst them: (1) IETF’s Transport
Services working group (TAPS) and several industry stakeholders’ efforts to
introduce platform- and protocol-independent transport layer APIs (e.g.,
Apple’s Network.framework, the IETF TAPS API, and the NEAT API); (2) new
transport protocols being deployed on the wire that run over UDP as a
substrate (e.g., Google’s QUIC) to get around middleboxes; (3) new
congestion control mechanisms other than NewReno and Linux’ CUBIC (e.g.,
Google’s BBR) and finally (4) HTTP3 that is an effort to port HTTP2 over
QUIC. This has coincided with the introduction of new network technologies
such as emerging 5G mobile networks currently being standardized by the
3GPP, and the network softwarization movement using virtualization and
containerization techniques (e.g., SDN, NFV). With the emergence of
networks that offer much faster PHY bitrates and aggregate capacity (e.g.,
5G, WiFi6), and with emerging applications that require much more stringent
latency requirements (e.g., AR/VR/XR or automotive V2X), the need for an
efficient transport layer stack – that is likely to run in the userland
instead of the OS kernel – will become much more significantly highlighted.

*Topics of interest* include, but *are not limited to*:

   - Technical issues and challenges that arise in the transport layer with
   the emergence of high-speed and high-capacity networks (e.g., 5G)
   - Transport protocols and their performance in emergent
   latency-sensitive and bandwidth-consuming application use-cases (e.g.,
   V2X communication and high-fidelity AR/VR/XR)
   - Design, deployment, and evaluation of state-of-the-art transport
   protocols (e.g., QUIC) and their congestion control mechanisms (e.g., BBR)
   - The performance of transport protocols in virtual environments;
   especially novel userland transport protocols such as QUIC
   - Design and evaluation of new transport layer APIs for future Internet
   and strategies for their deployment
   - Design, evaluation, deployment, and measurement studies of
   transport-layer security mechanisms (e.g., TLS 1.3)

*Paper format and submission instructions*

Submitted papers should be unpublished work and they should not be under
review by any other conference or journal. They must be *no more than 6
pages* (IEEE two-column format, 10pt) in total including references and
figures. Papers will be reviewed single-blind. Accepted papers will appear
in the symposium proceedings published by IFIP and submitted to IEEE Xplore
Digital Library. At least one author of each accepted paper is required to
register and present the work in the workshop.

Please follow the submission link on https://edas.info/N25747 for
submitting your paper. Guidelines on paper submission and formatting are
available here https://www.ieee.org/conferences/publishing/templates.html.

*Important Dates*

Paper submission deadline: 27 March 2020

Notification: 24 April 2020

Camera Ready: 7 May 2020

Workshop: 22 June 2020

*Workshop Co-Chairs*

Associate Prof. Naeem Khademi (University of Stavanger, Norway)

Associate Prof. Karl-Johan Grinnemo (Karlstad University, Sweden)

*Technical Program Committee*
Fred Baker (ICANN, USA)

Prof. Michael Scharf (University of Applied Sciences in Esslingen, Germany)

Dr. Mirja Kuehlewind (Ericsson Research, Germany)

Prof. Michael Tüexen (FH Münster, University of Applied Sciences, Germany)

Dr. Yoshifumi Nishida (GE Global Research, USA)

Prof. Michael Welzl (University of Oslo, Norway)

Dr. Koen De Schepper (Nokia Bell-Labs, Belgium)

Dr. Colin Perkins (University of Glasgow, UK)

Prof. Carsten Griwodz (University of Oslo, Norway)

Dr. Simone Ferlin (Ericsson, Sweden)

Dr. Nicolas Kuhn (Centre national d’études spatiales, France)

Prof. Anna Brunström (Karlstad University, Sweden)

Prof. Emmanuel Lochin (ISAE, France)

Dr. Peyman Teymoori (University of Oslo, Norway)

Assistant Prof. Gianni Antichi (Queen Mary University of London, UK)

Dr. Thomas Dreibholz (Simula Research Labs, Norway)

Prof. Joerg Ott (Technical University of Munich, Germany)

Dr. Lawrence Stewart (Netflix, Australia)

Prof. Gorry Fairhurst (University of Aberdeen, UK)

Dr. Sebastian Zander, Murdoch University, Australia

Dr. David Hayes (Simula Research Labs, Norway)

Spencer Dawkins (Tencent America, USA)

Praveen Balasubramanian (Microsoft, USA)

Prof. Åke Arvidsson (Kristianstad University, Sweden)

Dr. Ahmed Elmokashfi (Simula Research Labs, Norway)

Dr. Lars Eggert (NetApp, Finland)

Best regards,
FIT 2020 organizers

Naeem Khademi (naeem dot Khademi at his dot no)
Associate Professor, University of Stavanger, Norway
&
Karl-Johan Grinnemo (karl-johan dot grinnemo at kau dot se)
Associate Professor, Karlstad University, Sweden