Subject: [iccrg] L4S in 5G networks : Master thesis by Davide Brunello

From: Ingemar Johansson S <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 10:33:10 +0000

Hi folks

A master thesis by Davide Brunello (with me as supervisor at Ericsson) is
now published

https://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?dswid=-6303
<https://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?dswid=-6303&pid=diva2%3A148446
6&c=1&searchType=SIMPLE&language=en&query=brunello&af=%5B%5D&aq=%5B%5B%5D%5D
&aq2=%5B%5B%5D%5D&aqe=%5B%5D&noOfRows=50&sortOrder=author_sort_asc&sortOrder
2=title_sort_asc&onlyFullText=false&sf=all>
&pid=diva2%3A1484466&c=1&searchType=SIMPLE&language=en&query=brunello&af=%5B
%5D&aq=%5B%5B%5D%5D&aq2=%5B%5B%5D%5D&aqe=%5B%5D&noOfRows=50&sortOrder=author
_sort_asc&sortOrder2=title_sort_asc&onlyFullText=false&sf=all 

Abstract : 

Low Latency Low Loss Scalable Throughput (L4S) is a technology which aims to
provide high throughput and low latency for the IP traffic, lowering also
the probability of packet loss. To reach this goal, it relies on Explicit
Con- gestion Notification (ECN), a mechanism to signal congestion in the
network avoiding packets drop. The congestion signals are then managed at
sender and receiver side thanks to scalable congestion control algorithms.
Initially, in this work the challenges to implement L4S in a 5G network have
been analyzed. Using a proprietary state-of-the-art network simulator, L4S
have been implemented at the Packed Data Convergence Protocol layer in a 5G
network. The 5G network scenario represents a context where the physical
layer has a carrier frequency of 600 MHz, a transmission bandwidth of 9 MHz,
and the proto- col stack follows the New Radio (NR) specifications. L4S has
been adopted to support Augmented Reality (AR) video gaming traffic, using
the IETF experimental standard Self-Clocked Rate Adaptation for Multimedia
(SCReAM) for congestion control. The results showed that when supported by
L4S, the video gaming traffic experiences lower delay than without L4S
support. The improvement on latency comes with an intrinsic trade-off
between throughput and latency. In all the cases analyzed, L4S yields to
average application layer throughput above the minimum requirements of
high-rate latency-critical ap- plication, even at high system load.
Furthermore, the packet loss rate has been significantly reduced thanks to
the introduction of L4S, and if used in combi- nation with a Delay Based
Scheduler (DBS), a packet loss rate very close to zero has been reached.

/Ingemar

================================

Ingemar Johansson  M.Sc. 

Master Researcher

Ericsson Research

RESEARCHER

GFTL ER NAP NCM Netw Proto & E2E Perf

Labratoriegränd 11

977 53, Luleå, Sweden

Phone +46-1071 43042

SMS/MMS +46-73 078 3289

[email-masked]

www.ericsson.com <http://www.ericsson.com/> 

Talk about a dream, try to make it real

                  Bruce Springsteen

=================================