Subject: [icnrg] Mereotopology.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:57:06 +0530 (IST)

Hi,
 The ICNRG intro says the following

 "Moving the focus from nodes to information objects raises scalability
issues to a new level. Currently, the Internet is addressing on the order
of 10^9 nodes, whereas the number of addressable ICN objects is expected
to be several orders of magnitude higher."

 However, i feel there could be a fundamental difference arising out of
the differences in the inherent nature of network device nodes and ICN
nodes. The Network device nodes are transport devices that at best uses
knowledge, ICN nodes are knowledges themselves.
 This means that connectivity requirements differ for them. While  in
network nodes, given the absence (or presence in relatively very
little)knowledge, we would need maximum connectivity between the nodes,
when the ICN nodes encapsulate knowledge, we could do with a lot less
connectivty between them.
 Ontologies came to mind and i wondered if Ontologies have been related to
Topologies....google reveals that indeed yes, there is a branch of
Ontology called Mereotopology. Incorporating this formalism could make
the scalability problem less onereous than it sounds....these
mathematicians, you can count on them to always have something up their
sleeves it appears....
 Now, once the scalability is addressed, it is perhaps only natural that
the entities that have knowledge of the domain as opposed entities that
only transport, be able to have better control of  the routes which is
what SDN allows?
Sitaraman

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.