Subject: [icnrg] ICN Baseline Scenarios revised

From: Konstantinos Pentikousis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:47:15 +0000

Dear All,

We have updated the scenarios draft. You can find the new version at	
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pentikousis-icn-scenarios

The draft has been edited throughout, and it now includes two new sections on ICN for "Internet of Things" and "Smart City".  I updated the document wiki page accordingly (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/IcnBaselineScenarios).

We're looking forward to your comments and text contributions.

Best regards,

Kostas

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:35:15 +0530 (IST)

Hi Kostas,
 Thanks for the pointer to this document. Just one comment....the doc
mentions perptual and intermittent connectivity as the difference between
ICN and Host based Networks. There are at least two aspects to the
connectivity, one is temporal and the the spatial. The terminology
intermittent seems to lean towards temporal.  With ICN it is also
possible that the spatial connectivity required could be less (or made
less with design). Could consider making this aspect explicit...
Sitaraman
> The draft has been edited throughout, and it now includes two new sections
> on ICN for "Internet of Things" and "Smart City".  I updated the document
> wiki page accordingly
> (http://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/irtf/trac/wiki/IcnBaselineScenarios).
>
> _______________________________________________
> icnrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg
>
> --
> This message has been scanned for viruses and
> dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
> believed to be clean.
>

-- 
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 18:46:09 +0530 (IST)

Hi Kostas,
  Is something along the following lines been studied in the literature
that has been referred to in the document....pointers to the same is
much appreciated...
  Networks, host based, can be modelled clearly as graphs with the hosts
forming the nodes and the links (logical and physical) as connecting
edges. The edges here represent data connectivity.
  Considering Information, we can model Information and its distribution
as a graph. Here, the nodes would represent Information Entities. There
are, at least, two types of relations between Information entities:
a)Causality (of Semantics?) and b)Similarity. Causality could be
modelled as directed edges. Similarity either by edges weight (for fine
grained continuous characterisation) or Node colors (limited and coarse
grained).
   Now, perhaps with the help of Ontologists, classify information into
these graphs. Assuming for the moment location independence of the two
types of nodes (all information is to be accessible everywhere), we
could address the possibly more complicated constrained problem by
relaxing this constraint later...look to mathematicians to address
problem of optimally overlaying the two types of graph (with respect to
bandwidth contention,  latency, rendundancy and such...).
   Once we face the inevitable temporal (scheduling) and spatial(mobile)
shifts of access to these information we would need feedback control to
automatically overlay the graphs now that there are constraint points
on the overlap...
 Thanks
Sitaraman
Sitaraman

---

From: Konstantinos Pentikousis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 14:37:07 +0000

Hi Sitaraman,

|possible that the spatial connectivity required could be less (or made
|less with design)

Do you mean having unconnected islands, without a core in the middle?

Best regards,

Kostas

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:15:22 +0530 (IST)

Hi Kostas...
I meant more like a disconnected set of graphs spanning the network...
Sitaraman