Subject: [icnrg] Fwd: Presenting Mini-CCNx: an emulation tool for NDN

From: Christian Esteve Rothenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:22:34 -0300

I thought the following tool we have recently released may be of interest
to the IRTF ICN community,
especially those working on experimentation.

We believe the emulation platform could be easily adapted to run other code
in every node, other than CCNx in our cse (or OpenFlow switches in case of
the original Mininet).

Cheers,
Christian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christian Esteve Rothenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Subject: Presenting Mini-CCNx: an emulation tool for NDN
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], Carlos Cabral <
[email-masked]>

Dear CCNx fellows,

we would like to announce the availability of Mini-CCNx, an emulation
environment that may may help users and developers of CCNx:
https://github.com/carlosmscabral/mn-ccnx/wiki

Mini-CCNx allows to easily build custom CCN topologies, with hundreds
of nodes, with great agility and flexibility. These topologies can be
run directly on your laptop/desktop, in a local VM or in the cloud.
Each Mini-CCNx node (host or router) runs the official Project CCNx's code
(the daemon ccnd), in a container-based emulation environment (LXC).

Mini-CCNx is a fork of Mininet-HiFi and extends it to bring it to the
CCNx world. Mini-CCNx has all the advantages of Mininet, such as
container-based emulation, cgroups, and flexibility. But it does much
more:

- smooth integration with the official CCNx implementation using new
node classes ( CCNHost, CCNRouter, CPULimitedCCNHost );
- simple configuration with text files or GUI;
- FIB entries added automatically with text configuration file;
- sample topologies, topology generators with scripts;
- change link parameters such as delay, loss and bandwidth;

Mini-CCNx also features OSPFN and allows to automatically instantiate
a replica of the 17-node NDN testbed, including the actual topology,
annotated links, and name-based prefix configuration.

As explained in the wiki, you can follow the install instructions or
get your hands fast on a pre-configured VM.

Check also the 6-page technical report for further information on the
tool and the NDN experiments that we have been able to replicate:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ph0neazhktgunq/icn13-mn-ccnx.pdf

We welcome feedback and contributions from the CCNx community!

Cheers,
Christian (on behalf of Carlos, the author to be credited for)

--
Christian

-- 
Christian