Subject: [icnrg] ICN Research Challenges Revised

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:37:20 +0000

Dear all,

We updated and extended the ICN Research Challenges draft and we're looking forward to your comments, suggestions and text contributions.

You can get the latest version from http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kutscher-icnrg-challenges-01.txt

Changes include
 - new security section
 - updates to text on mobility, wireless communication, caching

Best regards,

Dirk

---

From: Börje Ohlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 10:40:39 +0200

I think this draft starts looking quite good.

Just some quick comments:

In 3.1 I think it is important to also define the publisher role. That is needed for a good understanding of the rest of the document.

I think section 4.1 should be restructured in such a way that the bullet items becomes subsections 4.1.x. This is in line with the following 4.x sections. Also topics like Privacy and Access Control definitely deserves their own subsections. I'm willing to contribute a subsection on Access Control.

I will come back with more detailed comments later.

	Börje

On 15 jul 2013, at 20:37, Dirk Kutscher wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> icnrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg

---

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 08:46:05 +0000

Hi,

Thanks. Yes, re-organizing 4.1 and 4.2 is on our work item list for the IETF week.

Best regards,
Dirk

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Börje Ohlman [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Freitag, 26. Juli 2013 10:41
> To: Dirk Kutscher
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [icnrg] ICN Research Challenges Revised
> 
> In 3.1 I think it is important to also define the publisher role. That is needed
> for a good understanding of the rest of the document.
> 
> I think section 4.1 should be restructured in such a way that the bullet items
> becomes subsections 4.1.x. This is in line with the following 4.x sections. Also
> topics like Privacy and Access Control definitely deserves their own
> subsections. I'm willing to contribute a subsection on Access Control.
> 
> > We updated and extended the ICN Research Challenges draft and we're
> looking forward to your comments, suggestions and text contributions.
> >

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 16:10:10 -0400

> You can get the latest version from http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-kutscher-icnrg-challenges-01.txt

Under "Managing accessibility" (currently in 4.1): One thing on my
mind is privacy of communication.  What if I want to make an object
available to authorized parties while not advertising anything at all
about that object, including the process of accessing it?  Ideally I
make available a service by which some un-named object or objects
might be fetched, to which requestors send their credentials in a
query.  We would then engage in a _private_ (unicast) negotiation,
during which I find out what they want and make it available to them.
At no point after the initial advertisement is any of this visible to
anyone off-path.  No one not on the path between us gets to see/trap
any of the exchange.  ... I could do this in a hybrid environment but
how do I produce a similarly secure scenario in a future Internet
based on pure ICN?

Scott

---

From: Pedro Martinez-Julia <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:32:35 +0200

> how do I produce a similarly secure scenario in a future Internet

We have been working on the scenario you mention. You can take a look to
[1] and see how we resolved the problem. If you find it interesting we
could somehow collaborate to design a method to add support for high
level of privacy to the ICN paradigm.

> Scott

Regards,
Pedro

[1] P. Martinez-Julia and A F. Gomez-Skarmeta, "Using identities to
achieve enhanced privacy in future content delivery networks" in
"Computers & Electrical Engineering", Vol. 38, PP. 346-355, 2012. 
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2011.11.021
URL: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0045790611001972

-- 
Pedro Martinez-Julia
Department of Communication and Information Engineering
Faculty of Computer Science
University of Murcia
Email: [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------
*** Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem ***

---

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 11:34:01 +0000

Hi Pedro,

Since this document is not accessible to everyone, would you like to outline the approach?

Best regards,
Dirk

> From: Pedro Martinez-Julia [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Freitag, 26. Juli 2013 22:33
> To: Scott Brim
> Cc: Dirk Kutscher; [email-masked]
> [1] and see how we resolved the problem. If you find it interesting we could
> somehow collaborate to design a method to add support for high level of
> privacy to the ICN paradigm.
> 
> > Scott
> >
> 
> Regards,
> Pedro
> 
> [1] P. Martinez-Julia and A F. Gomez-Skarmeta, "Using identities to achieve
> enhanced privacy in future content delivery networks" in "Computers &
> Electrical Engineering", Vol. 38, PP. 346-355, 2012.
> Department of Communication and Information Engineering Faculty of
> Computer Science University of Murcia
> Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Pedro Martinez-Julia <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:43:21 +0200

Hi,

> Since this document is not accessible to everyone, would you like to outline the approach?

The idea behind the work is to have intermediate and trusted entities
that can negotiate new and not-disclosed identifiers for each "session".
Each entity (both intermediate and client entities) has a public
identifier that is used just to perform negotiations.

To translate this process to ICN we implemented the mentioned
communication as follows: If the node "A" wants to exchange a message
with the node "B", "A" updates the content with the name that is
assigned to "B" and includes the message into the content body. The
message has a new identifier that "A" has reserved for the specific
exchange/session, so "B" will update the content named with such
identifier with the answer to "A".

This process will have a low (or even high, depending on the situation)
rate of collisions so a collision resolution protocol should is used.
However we did not evaluate approaches for this as our main concern was
the secure negotiation of new identifiers to protect privacy.

Once we have defined the adaptation layer, to achieve private
communications, we have defined a new trusted infrastructure and a
negotiation protocol to allow clients identify each other and, at the
same time, exchange a pair of identifiers that will be only known by
them and their trusted entities. This protocol resolves two problems:
Finding an entity from its identity and establishing a private session
between them. It is depicted in the attached figure.

Notice that, in this approach, a session may represent whatever
succession of message exchanges. We still have to improve the process to
achieve the same level of privacy for exchanges with low number of
messages (e.g. just a round of request/response).

If you have any question, do not hesitate to ask me. Thank you.

Regards,
Pedro