Subject: Re: [icnrg] New version of draft-video-streaming-ICN...

From: "Trossen, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:39:30 -0500

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the link to the draft. This is an important topic since
retrieving content from possible many sources is a potential advantage,
not only for performance reasons (but also governance, policy, ...) - an
aspect missing from the draft (see later in this email).

Although the draft focusses on 'ICN architectures' with specific
characteristics (such as pull API, "for which the name resolution (i.e.
name to next-hop) occurs en-route"), I wonder how approaches would look
like where these characteristics don't apply or how constraining these
assumptions really are (e.g., the pull issue can be addressed through a
pull API on top of a pub/sub lower API). In other words, I'd like to
understand how much the proposed solutions tie into specific design
choices and what is applicable across several such choices. I believe
that this would help rather than focusing on specific solutions in
specific choices only.
 
As a possible reference to work in the similar space, although not
directly based on MPEG DASH, you might want to look at "B. Tagger, D.
Trossen, A. Kostopoulos, S. Porter, G. Parisis, Realising an Application
Environment for Information-centric Networking, Elsevier Computer
Networks ", which outlines an ontological approach to video delivery and
also outlines a few economic/policy reasons for such object-based
retrieval approach. 
 
Best,
 
Dirk

From: icnrg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Cedric Westphal
Sent: 19 February 2014 19:42
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [icnrg] New version of draft-video-streaming-ICN...

Hi,

We have put together a new version of the draft on video streaming over
ICN.

You can find the draft at:

http://users.soe.ucsc.edu/~cedric/papers/draft-video-streaming-over-ICN-
01.txt

Changes include expanded description of DASH over ICN (including testbed
considerations), addition of P2P considerations, description of IPTV and
management issues.

We welcome comments and feedback on the list. We will present this at
the IRTF meeting in London.

Best,

C.

Dirk Trossen 
Principal Engineer
InterDigital UK, Inc.
Shoreditch Business Center
64 Great Eastern Street
London, EC2A 3QR
T: +44 20 7749 9178
[email-masked]
www.InterDigital.com

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient. Unintended transmission shall not constitute waiver of any privilege or confidentiality obligation. If you received this communication in error, please do not review, copy or distribute it, notify me immediately by email, and delete the original message and any attachments. Unless expressly stated in this e-mail, nothing in this message or any attachment should be construed as a digital or electronic signature.