Subject: [icnrg] [CfP] MuSIC Workshop - Multimedia Streaming in ICN

From: Christian Kreuzberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:54:00 +0100

Dear all,

the deadline for the MuSIC (Multimedia Streaming in ICN) Workshop is 
approaching. The main focus is on multimedia streaming in ICN, which is 
a relevant topic for the ICN research group.
You can find the details below and at the official website 
http://music2015.itec.aau.at/ .

Best regards,
Christian

------------------------------------------------------------
Call for Papers
------------------------------------------------------------
2015 IEEE ICME Workshop
Multimedia Streaming in Information-Centric Networks (MuSIC)
Friday, July 3, 2015, Torino, Italy
------------------------------------------------------------
http://music2015.itec.aau.at/
------------------------------------------------------------

Motivation and Goals
--------------------

According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index and to Sandvine Global 
Internet Phenomena Reports, multimedia, in particular video for 
real-time entertainment, are the predominant sources of traffic on the 
current Internet and continue to grow. However, the Internet protocols 
and mechanisms have not at all been designed for the challenging 
real-time communication media like video and voice streaming and 
conferencing, such that ”the Internet only just works,” as Mark Handley 
put it. Intense research on Quality of Service (QoS) schemes and 
frameworks has been conducted over the past decades, not resulting in 
practical and widely accepted mechanisms in the IP networking world. 
Currently, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) are the primary means to 
deliver massive amounts of real-time content, e.g., video streams, to 
clients in a satisfying manner.

Countering these problems and challenges, many Future Internet 
initiatives and projects have been and are being undertaken around the 
globe. Among them, Information-Centric Networking (ICN) is a promising 
approach, bringing content and efficient content distribution into 
focus. Several basic ICN concepts are quite similar to application-layer 
protocols in the IP world, e.g., a publish-subscribe approach in 
PSIRP/PURSUIT, pull-based data transport in CCN/NDN (interest/data 
packets) and in Adaptive HTTP Streaming approaches (request/response 
behavior).

Interestingly, though, the two communities, on Multimedia 
Systems/Communications and on Information-Centric Networking, have 
barely interacted. Multimedia communications researchers still mostly 
think and operate in the context of IP networks, while ICN researchers 
mainly discuss key networking aspects, not focusing on the requirements, 
challenges and opportunities of real-time multimedia data 
delivery/streaming (even though there are notable exceptions). Yet, 
recent intense discussions on the IRTF mailing list on video delivery 
and QoS/QoE and several publications (among them, an Internet Draft) 
indicate increased interest of ICN experts in multimedia communication.
The most important goal of this workshop is therefore to provide a forum 
that brings those two communities together, to spawn vivid discussions 
and intense exchange and learnings at the intersection of the two areas, 
and to help establish common terminology, work, and projects. The 
committees of the workshop are composed of leading members of both 
communities, in an attempt to solicit broad interest and good 
submissions to the workshop.

The workshop will emphasize video-on-demand (VoD) and voice/video 
conferencing (live) applications on ICNs, but other distributed 
multimedia applications are welcome, such as gaming. All aspects of 
media streaming in ICN will be addressed, including: basic principles 
and insights; protocols, mechanisms and policies (strategies) in ICN 
nodes; routing; measures and metrics for real-time behavior, QoS and 
QoE; evaluation methodology; prototype implementations, testbeds, and 
demos; and comparisons with IP-based systems. The workshop is open to 
discuss media streaming in all ICN approaches; comparisons of different 
ICN architectures are encouraged. Demos are welcome.

Topics of Interest (including, but not limited to)
--------------------------------------------------

- Video-on-demand applications, prototypes, and demos over ICN
- Voice/video conferencing applications, prototypes, and
   demos over ICN
- Novel multimedia applications, prototypes, demos over ICN
- Error and loss control and mitigation
- Congestion detection and control
- Naming and routing of media streams
- Forwarding, aggregation, replication strategies
   (interests and content)
- Caching strategies
- Caching effects (probably unexpected and/or undesired)
- DRM and its impact on or interplay with caching
- Content adaptation in ICN
- Media stream adaptation, bandwidth estimation,... on clients
- Use of scalable media content
- Fairness issues and metrics in ICN
- Security and privacy issues for MM streaming over ICN
- QoS and QoE mechanisms and metrics: impact on and interplay
   with ICN
- Evaluation methodologies, in particular ICN simulation and
   experimental testbeds
- Deployment and scalability issues

Submissions to the Workshop
---------------------------

- Paper length: Prospective authors are invited to submit full-length 
papers, up to 6 pages long, by March 30, 2015.

- Paper format: For author guidelines and paper templates please see: 
http://www.icme2015.ieee-icme.org/authorguide.php.

- Paper submission: All submissions are to be made via CMT web site at: 
https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/ICMEW2015. Please select "Workshop on 
Multimedia Streaming in Information-Centric Networks (MuSIC)".

- Review process: Each submission will be peer-reviewed by at least 
three members of the TPC.

- Accepted papers: Papers accepted for the workshop must be presented by 
one of the authors. Papers will be published in the Proceedings of ICME 
Workshops and also on-line in the IEEE Xplore digital library.

Important Dates
---------------
- Paper submission:   March 30, 2015
- Paper acceptance:   April 30, 2015
- Camera-ready paper: May 15, 2015
- Workshop:           July 3, 2015

Committees
----------

Organizers and Technical Program Committee Chairs
-------------------------------------------------
- Hermann Hellwagner, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- George C. Polyzos, AUEB, Greece

Steering Committee
------------------
- Klara Nahrstedt, UIUC, USA
- George Pavlou, University College London, UK
- Cedric Westphal, Huawei, USA
- Chang Wen Chen, SUNY at Buffalo, USA

Technical Program Committee
---------------------------
- Alexander Afanasyev, UCLA, USA
- Ali Begen, Cisco, Canada
- Laszlo Böszörmenyi, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Jeff Burke, UCLA, USA
- Giovanna Carofiglio, Cisco Systems, France
- Wei Koong Chai, University College London, UK
- Filip De Turck, Ghent University, Belgium
- Wolfgang Effelsberg, Univ. Mannheim & TU Darmstadt, Germany
- Abdulmotaleb El Saddik, University of Ottawa, Canada
- Pascal Frossard, EPFL, Switzerland
- Carsten Griwodz, Simula Research Lab & Univ.of Oslo, Norway
- Mohamed Hefeeda, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Dirk Kutscher, NEC Labs Europe, Germany
- Giannis Marias, AUEB, Greece
- Luca Muscariello, Orange Labs, France
- Klara Nahrstedt, UIUC, USA
- Börje Ohlman, Ericsson Research, Sweden
- Wei Tsang Ooi, National University of Singapore
- Dave Oran, Cisco, USA
- Jörg Ott, Aalto University, Finland
- Christos Papadopoulos, Colorado State University, USA
- Benjamin Rainer, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Damien Saucez, INRIA, France
- Gwendal Simon, Telecom Bretagne, France
- Vasilios Siris, AUEB, Greece
- Ignacio Solis, PARC, USA
- Ralf Steinmetz, TU Darmstadt, Germany
- Christian Timmerer, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Dirk Trossen, InterDigital, UK
- Laura Toni, EPFL, Switzerland
- Christian Tschudin, Universität Basel, Switzerland
- George Xylomenos, AUEB, Greece
- Yonggang Wen, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Roger Zimmermann, National University of Singapore