Subject: [icnrg] NDNcomm 2015 Hackathon Call for Projects

From: Steve DiBenedetto <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 20:58:46 -0600

NDNcomm 2015 Hackathon Call for Projects
Proposals Due: Aug. 31, 2015. Hackathon: Sept. 26-27, 2015.

The NDNcomm 2015 Hackathon solicits project proposals that advance the
state of NDN.

We are looking for projects that:
* directly address a research need,
* create new NDN tools or modify existing tools, and/or
* create or improve documentation and how-to guides.

Participants will have approximately 12 hours to work on the projects
(see http://ndncomm.github.io for additional details).

- How open-ended should proposals be? -

Ideally, project proposals should include room for discussion and
cooperative design during the hackathon, but may be entirely planned
in advance (e.g. a new NFD feature). We ask that proposals avoid
larger projects that are completely open to design. The significance
of the contribution is more important than spectacle.

- Who will work on the projects? -

Hackathon projects will be developed by small teams (< 8) and should
be able to show measurable progress after two days. Participants will
be encouraged to regroup and refresh overnight. The hackathon welcomes
all interested participants, regardless of NDN experience, so we are
seeking projects that are suitable for experienced NDN developers as
well as those approachable by newcomers. For example, a project could
decompose into tasks of varying skill levels or, alternatively, be
specifically targeted.

- What languages, libraries, etc. are allowed? -

Project proposals should declare any programming language, library,
platform requirements, and so forth. For new projects, we ask you to
consider how the specifics, such as language choice, may impact the
ability to attract participants. The hackathon organizers will provide
proposal feedback and assistance to ensure projects have a concrete
path to implementation.

- If I propose a project, do I have to go to the Hackathon? -

Proposals must specify one or more representatives who will attend the
hackathon to pitch their idea and guide its development over the
duration of the hackathon (hacking optional). Representatives will
have 10 minutes to present their idea to attendees at the event
opening. The pitch should emphasize the project's motivation and use
cases.

- FORMAT -

Proposals should adhere to the following format:
* 1 page max. (plain text)
* contact information of submitters
* contact information of project representative(s)
* distinct sections for the:
   * motivation,
   * approach and/or concept,
   * contributions to NDN,
   * functional requirements, and
   * metrics (how progress can be measured).

Please remember that participants will have a limited amount of time
(see http://ndncomm.github.io) to work on their project. All proposals
will be reviewed by the hackathon organizers. Projects will be judged
by a panel (TBD) for the “Best of Hackathon” prize. We hope that the
hackathon will be a fun event for all and that projects will lead to
collaborations extending beyond NDNcomm.

- DEADLINE -

Email proposal to [email-masked]
Proposal submission deadline: Monday, August 31, 2015
Notification: Monday, September 7, 2015

- Hackathon Information and Schedule -

Website: http://ndncomm.github.io
Solicitation:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zoqb8_IzEirISS5vJqUB2qpBlq8vFXE_T6DLwS1gdyw/edit?usp=sharing

Open: Saturday, September 26, 2015 @ 9am - 8pm
Close: Sunday, September 27, 2015 @ 9am - 6pm
Judging & Awards: Sunday, September 27, 2015 @ 6pm - 8pm
Post Projects on Website: Monday, September 28, 2015

- Organizers -
Alex Afanasyev (UCLA)
Steve DiBenedetto (Colorado State University)
Vince Lehman (University of Memphis)
Jeff Thompson (UCLA)