Subject: [icnrg] Performance Analysis of ICN for IoT

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:26:36 +0100

In the meeting today I was wondering about ongoing performance
investigations to determine the benefits of ICN for IoT.

A recent ISOC publication on IoT describes a couple of IoT communication
patterns, see
http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/ISOC-IoT-Overview-20151022.pdf

These categories are useful to build testbed setups that reflect common
IoT deployments.

If you are aware of already published results please let me know.

Ciao
Hannes

---

From: Alex Afanasyev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 10:52:05 +0900

Hi Hannes,

I would like to point out that "performance" analysis mat not feasible today or ever.  If exactly the same IoT implementation/pattern was possible in IP, then there wouldn't be a need for ICN.  ICN really brings unique capabilities to IoT, which may not be comparable at all.

It could be possible to do qualitative evaluation of the ICN IoT approach, though I would refrain from making conclusions from quantitative evaluations.  Although having a decent number optimizations, the current implementations don't have years of engineering and tweaking.  In those cases that can be implemented using IP, no real conclusions can be made from the observed numbers.

---
Alex

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 10:26 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> icnrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg

---

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 02:58:40 +0100

Hi Hannes,

thanks for the pointer.

Last year we published this paper [1] which evaluates device-to-device
communication using NDN on IoT.

Concerning tools we used for that evaluation we carried on constrained,
low-end IoT devices, we used CCN-lite ported to RIOT [2].

Note that for that paper we used a now deprecated version of CCN-lite and a
port of the latest CCN-lite is on the way (we'll keep this list posted
about that).

On the testbed side, an interesting facility we are using is an open access
testbed called IoT-lab [3] which gives remote bare-metal access to a
variety of interconnected low-end IoT devices.

Best,

Emmanuel

[1] E. Baccelli, C. Mehlis, O. Hahm, T. Schmidt, M. Wählisch, ''Information
centric networking in the IoT: experiments with NDN in the wild.'' in
proceedings of ACM ICN, 2014. Available online at
http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2014/papers/p77.pdf
[2] http://www.riot-os.org
[3] https://www.iot-lab.info

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 2:26 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]
> wrote:

---

From: Emmanuel Baccelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 05:26:13 +0100

(Sorry for emails crossed, I had not seen that Dirk had already posted the
paper).
On Nov 5, 2015 10:58 AM, "Emmanuel Baccelli" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Note that for that paper we used a now deprecated version of CCN-lite and
> a port of the latest CCN-lite is on the way (we'll keep this list posted
> about that).
>
> On the testbed side, an interesting facility we are using is an open
> access testbed called IoT-lab [3] which gives remote bare-metal access to a
> [1] E. Baccelli, C. Mehlis, O. Hahm, T. Schmidt, M. Wählisch,
> ''Information centric networking in the IoT: experiments with NDN in the
> wild.'' in proceedings of ACM ICN, 2014. Available online at
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 2:26 AM, Hannes Tschofenig <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Oleg Hahm <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 14:17:33 +0900

Hi Hannes,

> These categories are useful to build testbed setups that reflect common

what would be really helpful for further experiments in this direction - and
what is missing in the cited document as far as I can see - is some
information on expected traffic load, typical payload sizes and topologies for
the different use cases. Do you, or anyone else on the list, have some
concrete numbers for some of the listed IoT use cases? (What packet sizes do
we expect?  What's the maximum distance to the next gateway we can expect? How
often does one need an updated sensor reading? etc)

Cheers,
Oleg