Subject: [icnrg] ICN NRS, DNS, and privacy considerations

From: Mark Stapp <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:24:18 -0400

I didn't want to hijack Marc Mosko's thread about the NRS topic, but 
since he's raised the parallels with DNS, I wanted to ask about the 
potential privacy issues with an NRS.

If I use a service on the network, an application, for example, I can 
have a trust relationship - via a cert chain, or via a burned-in cert - 
that can authenticate an instance of that application to me. That helps 
me, because I can avoid exposing anything about myself - my login 
credentials, my account name, my email address - or about my activities 
until the application has authenticated itself to me.

Adding a naming service introduces a new set of trust relationships, and 
a new set of privacy concerns. If I am using a name-resolution service 
in order to access some application on the internet, then either

a) I expose my intentions, my activities, in the clear to a naming 
service that I have no trust relationship with.

b) I develop a trust relationship with some provider of the naming 
service, I trust that service with information about my activities, and 
I have some way to authenticate the specific naming service provider 
before offering any information, just as I would authenticate any other 
application.

Choice (a) is obviously a problem. It's true that DNS has largely worked 
in the clear for a long time, but that's changing now, as a result of 
the increased ietf focus on exposure of internet users' activities - see 
the DPRIVE working group. In order to have parity, at a minimum, with 
the IP world, I think you'll have to explain the potential risks to 
users of adding a resolution service. And if that service is recursive 
and distributed, you'll have to explain how a trustworthy set of 
relationships within the resolution service itself would work so that 
users are protected.

Apologies in advance if these questions have already been raised...

Thanks,
Mark

---

From: "Z.W. Yan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 09:11:17 +0800

I support the points proposed by Mark.
DNS is keep evolving and its security (especially the privacy) issues are the hot topics in IETF (DNSOP/DPRIVE/DANE) and DNSOARC meeting.
So as Mark mentioned, these issues should also be considered in NRS of ICN.

2016-04-08 

Z.W. Yan 

发件人： Mark Stapp 
发送时间： 2016-04-08  03:34:11 
收件人： [email-masked] 
抄送： 
主题： [icnrg] ICN NRS, DNS, and privacy considerations 
 
_______________________________________________
icnrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg