Subject: [icnrg] Proposed Hackathon Project: Using ICN for critical, time sensitive systems

From: Peter Maynard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:51:08 +0000

Dear all, 

I would like to get your feedback on my proposal of a Hackathon project
at the next meet up in London. I'm currently researching ICS/SCADA
network security at Queen's University Belfast. 

Many SCADA protocols were originally developed for serial links and
were then moved to TCP/IP systems. Because of this current deployments
are vulnerable to MITM attacks due to lack of authentication and
encryption. Also, the nature of SCADA systems match well with a
publish/subscribe model. Since there are many devices being monitored
for updates. e.g. consider a heating system with multiple temperature
sensors throughout the building.

I would like to champion a project at the hackathon to expand on a use
case, 'Using ICN for critical, time sensitive systems'. Such as in a
process control network that is an air-gaped network with sensors and
actuators. The intention is to identify some key indicators as to the
feasibility of an ICN architecture in SCADA systems. 

Depending on your feedback, I propose we develop one of two things: 1)
Map a protocol to an ICN implementation CCN/NDN; 2) Develop an
application gateway to translate for the device. 

Objectives
----------
- Map a field bus protocol (IEC101/4) to ICN.
- Develop an application gateway to a:
	- a) Physical PLC
	- b) Raspberry PI Traffic lights
	- c) VM software based PLC emulator 
- Define key performance indicators (KPI) for SCADA systems.
	-
Compare TCP/IP to ICN using KPI.
	- Needs to be real-time andreliable, redundant path comms. 
- Develop a HMI web interface to control remove device over ICN.

Thank you for your time,
Any feedback is welcomed.

kind Regards, 
Pete Maynard

-- 
Pete Maynard
Centre for Secure Information Technologies 
Queen's University Belfast
GPG: 0xABB8D69D
https://petermaynard.co.uk | @pgmaynard

---

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 09:15:25 +0100

Hi Pete,

That sounds like a very interesting idea.

I’d be interested to discuss this further — have you made any plans 
regarding dates, organization of the hackathon etc.?

 From a timing perspective, Saturday before the IETF could be a good 
day.

Let us know in case there is anything we can do to support this.

It would also be great to have a summary plus further discussion at one 
of the ICNRG meetings.

Cheers,
Dirk

On 26 Feb 2018, at 18:51, Peter Maynard wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> icnrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg

---

From: Peter Maynard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:50:53 +0000

Hi Dirk, 

I had planned to attend both days of the Hackathon. Arriving with some
equipment depending on how much space I have either a) raspberry pi
with LEDs to simulate traffic lights, b) spare laptop with IEC104
emulator. 

Before the event we will identify some key performance measurements
which apply to critical infrastructure and get some baselines of the
current systems running over TCP/IP.

Depending on who is there and what people are interested in, I propose
two approaches: 

- Map IEC60870-5-101/4 to CCN/NDN with modification of the IEC104
emulator to have native ICN communication.
- Develop an application gateway to translate IEC104 communication to
the RPI. (using IEC104 java library)

Now, my experience with ICN is next to nothing, so I am still working
through your current publications and existing work. I will be more
than happy to provide you with a better summary and discussion (either
at a meeting or online) once I have finished my analysis.

Kind Regards, 
Pete

---

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 15:07:08 +0100

Hi Pete,

> the RPI. (using IEC104 java library)

OK, great. It sounds like you have a focus on IEC 60870. In the IIoT 
world, many people are looking into TSN & OPC UA these days. Is that 
something that you are looking into or working with, too?

> at a meeting or online) once I have finished my analysis.

That would be very useful.

Since this is relatively short-notice, and not many ICN folks may be 
very familiar with IEC 60870, it might be a good idea to allocate a good 
portion of the time to some form of tutorial and design discussion.

Regarding ICN intro material, check out the tutorials at ACM ICN-2017: 
https://conferences.sigcomm.org/acm-icn/2017/

Note that there is an ICNRG meeting on Sunday, so that could conflict 
with Hackathon activities.

In any case, I think it would be great to start a thread (and some 
activity in ICNRG) on ICN for time sensitive systems — you would be 
most welcome to share your thoughts.

Best regards,
Dirk