Subject: [icnrg] possible adoption of "ICN Adaptation to LowPAN Networks (ICN LoWPAN)"

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2018 19:54:59 +0200

Hi ICNRG,

Those of you who have been at the ICNRG Interim at MIT on Monday will 
remember Cenk’s presentation on the ICN LowPAN work 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/interim-2018-icnrg-03/materials/slides-interim-2018-icnrg-03-sessa-icn-lowpan). 
The corresponding Internet Draft 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gundogan-icnrg-ccnlowpan/) 
defines a convergence layer for CCNx/NDN over IEEE 802.15.4 networks.

This work has been presented a few times in past ICNRG meetings in the 
past and has evolved nicely.

At the Interim, we brought up the question of adopting this work as a RG 
work item. Feedback so far has been positive so that we would now like 
to get more views on that on the mailing list.

As a bit of background: the specification in this draft has been 
implemented in IoT prototypes and seems to provide attractive features 
including stateless and stateful compression and could enable 
connectivity between (very) constrained networks with gateways and the 
rest of an ICN Internet, possibly avoiding some of the problems of 
6lowpan (IPv6 over LowPAN).

Given the potential importance of the work for supporting networking in 
constrained environments, the chairs do think this work would be a good 
candidate for an ICNRG work item (with the objective of publishing it as 
an Experimental RFC).

We would like to get a decision on this in about two weeks, so please 
share your opinions by the end of October 14th.

(Reminder: we are looking for statements indicating support for adoption 
or concerns for adopting it at this time).

Thanks and best regards,

Dirk (for Börje and Dave)