Subject: [icnrg] Question about draft-irtf-icnrg-deployment-guidelines

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 23:28:51 -0400

Hi: 

ahead of the interim meeting I was re-reading the draft-irtf-icnrg-deployment-guidelines in the context of some AR/VR/MR and multisource multidestination apps I am working on. One aspect that is not clear to me is what happens when content that has rights management (or local distribution ruiles) is distributed with ICN (books, video, VR games etc.). I remembered a convoluted solution that we had to use for P2P distribution of TV signals way back. 

Did I miss something or it’s not really part of it?

Thanks

mjm

Marie-Jose Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]
[email-masked]
+1-781-526-2661
@SocialTVMIT

---

From: "Trossen, Dirk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 06:13:20 +0000

Hi Marie-Jose,

Interesting question but, in this case (considering deployment options at the architecture level), I would consider that you provide already the right answer: it's not really part of it.

Best,

Dirk

-----Original Message-----
From: icnrg [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Marie-Jose Montpetit
Sent: 07 September 2018 04:29
To: icnrg <[email-masked]>
Subject: [icnrg] Question about draft-irtf-icnrg-deployment-guidelines

Hi: 

Thanks

mjm

_______________________________________________
icnrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 05:30:04 -0400

I will re-resed any thing about security then and see how the content is protected in the ICN and see if (like we did) in P2P (well is was social content consumption) if extra signatures can be added. For TV and video the studios have their own mechanisms but this is not what I am looking into (at least no now).  

Thanks

mjm

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 2:13 AM, Trossen, Dirk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi Marie-Jose,
>

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 08:25:52 -0400

On 7 Sep 2018, at 5:30, Marie-Jose Montpetit wrote:

> I will re-resed any thing about security then and see how the content 
> is protected in the ICN and see if (like we did) in P2P (well is was 
> social content consumption) if extra signatures can be added. For TV 
> and video the studios have their own mechanisms but this is not what I 
> am looking into (at least no now).
>
I don’t see this as a topic for a deployment document, so I’m not 
sure where you’re going with the question. If you depend on deployment 
characteristics/details to obtain important security/privacy/rights 
properties it is almost certainly too late and not going to be robust.

Given that we have object-based security in ICN (with selective 
encryption at the application layer) it seems that any solution that 
even minimally depends on where the bits wind up being transmitted or 
stored would not comport well with the architecture. In fact, these 
properties are a major part what sets ICN apart from IP-based CDN 
systems.

In the message below, I read in that the concern you are raising is 
about proving ownership and not protection against piracy, correct? Both 
need careful attention to the key management; the former in the 
distribution and lifetime of the encryption keys; the latter in the 
proof and ownership of the signing keys.

Maybe you could take another swipe at explaining the scenarios you are 
considering and how they might interact with how an ICN system gets 
deployed.

Cheers, DaveO.

>> Interesting question but, in this case (considering deployment 
>> options at the architecture level), I would consider that you provide 
>> already the right answer: it's not really part of it.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Dirk
>>
>> ahead of the interim meeting I was re-reading the 
>> draft-irtf-icnrg-deployment-guidelines in the context of some 
>> AR/VR/MR and multisource multidestination apps I am working on. One 
>> aspect that is not clear to me is what happens when content that has 
>> rights management (or local distribution ruiles) is distributed with 
>> ICN (books, video, VR games etc.). I remembered a convoluted solution 
>> that we had to use for P2P distribution of TV signals way back.
>>

DaveO