Subject: [icnrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-mapme-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 08:59:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Information-Centric Networking RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : MAP-Me : Managing Anchorless Mobility in Content Centric Networking
        Authors         : Jordan Auge
                          Giovanna Carofiglio
                          Luca Muscariello
                          Michele Papalini
	Filename        : draft-irtf-icnrg-mapme-02.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2018-10-22

Abstract:
   Consumer mobility is supported in ICN by design, in virtue of its
   connectionless pull-based communication model; producer mobility
   though is not natively supported.  This document describes MAP-Me, an
   anchor-less solution to manage micro-mobility of content producers in
   the CCN (Content Centric Networking) and NDN (Named Data Networking)
   architectures, with support for latency-sensitive applications.  MAP-
   Me consists in the combination of two data plane protocols, triggered
   by producer movements, and leveraging ICN named-based data plane.
   The main protocol consists in a lightweight FIB update process,
   complemented by a mechanism of local notification and scoped
   discovery suitable for low latency applications and fast mobility.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-icnrg-mapme/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-mapme-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-mapme-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-icnrg-mapme-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Jordan Augé <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 09:56:28 +0200

Hi everyone,

To follow up on the automated email sent yesterday following the update of the 
MAP-Me draft, we wanted to give you a quick overview of the changes.

Besides the usual tidying up of the document, the major change is a 
simplification of the retransmission mechanism ensuring the reliability of the 
update process. This consequently reduces the amount of information we store 
in the TFIB: we don't have anymore a timer per transmitted update but instead 
use a single timer to account for all FIB entries having pending updates.

This change is the result of the work we have been doing recently, to provide 
an efficient implemention of MAP-Me mechanisms in the VPP forwarder / hICN 
plugin.

We have also clarified the sections detailing face management in the 
forwarders, whose creation and deletion are the triggers for sending MAP-Me 
signaling. In particular, the previous version was only referring to 
synchronizing faces with Layer 2 changes, while the mechanism is in fact more 
generic when faces are built on top of IP adjacencies (as in hICN), tunnels 
(eg. UDP), etc.

As usual, we welcome any feedback you might have about the draft.

Cheers,
-- Jordan