Subject: [icnrg] Soliciting feedback on: Internet Protocol Tunneling over Content Centric Mobile Networks (draft-white-icnrg-ipoc-01)

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 14:18:29 +0100

Hi ICNRG,

At the ICNRG meeting last week, we brought up the question of next steps 
for https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-white-icnrg-ipoc/ .

Abstract (as a reminder):

    This document describes a protocol that enables tunneling of 
Internet
    Protocol traffic over a Content Centric Network (CCN) or a Named 
Data
    Network (NDN).  The target use case for such a protocol is to 
provide
    an IP mobility plane for mobile networks that might otherwise use 
IP-
    over-IP tunneling, such as the GPRS Tunneling Protocol (GTP) used by
    the Evolved Packet Core in LTE networks (LTE-EPC).  By leveraging 
the
    elegant, built-in support for mobility provided by CCN or NDN, this
    protocol achieves performance on par with LTE-EPC, equivalent
    efficiency, and substantially lower implementation and protocol
    complexity.  Furthermore, the use of CCN/NDN for this purpose paves
    the way for the deployment of ICN native applications on the mobile
    network.

This work has been presented at earlier meetings and has received good 
feedback at those times.

The chairs think that the draft describes an interesting approach 
towards working with ICN and IP and operator networks and provides a 
specification that could enable more experimentation.

We’d like to collect some opinions from the group about possible next 
steps (for example, adopting it as RG for later publishing it as an 
ICNRG product). As usual, adopting a draft in ICNRG does not mean 
endorsing it as the single best way of solving a particular problem.

Normally, we’d adopt drafts that are of interest to ICNRG participants 
and that people would like to see published.

So, please let us know what you think:

- Would you like to see this work adopted?
- Do you have technical comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Börje, Dave, Dirk