Subject: [icnrg] Last Call: draft-oran-icnrg-qosarch

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 20:47:06 +0100

Hello ICNRG,

In Singapore, we mentioned that we would eventually like to publish 
draft-oran-icnrg-qosarch and after a discussion with the IRTF chair 
concluded that, given the nature of this document, the best way would be 
to treat it as a position paper and publish it as an Informational RFC 
without adopting it as an RG item.

The motivation is that this document, instead of specifying a specific 
architecture or mechanism, is rather illustrating a certain direction 
(that may or may not inform future specific QoS work in ICNRG).

We (Dave as the author, and Börje & myself as chairs) think that the 
draft is useful and mature enough so that we can move it towards 
publication, and I would therefore like to last-call it. Please read it 
and let us know if you think there are issues. The last call ends on 
February 7th, i.e., 2.5 weeks from today.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-oran-icnrg-qosarch/

Abstract

    This is a position paper.  It documents the author's personal views
    on how Quality of Service (QoS) capabilities ought to be 
accommodated
    in ICN protocols like CCNx or NDN which employ flow-balanced
    Interest/Data exchanges and hop-by-hop forwarding state as their
    fundamental machinery.  It argues that such protocols demand a
    substantially different approach to QoS from that taken in TCP/IP,
    and proposes specific design patterns to achieve both classification
    and differentiated QoS treatment on both a flow and aggregate basis.
    It also considers the effect of caches as a resource in addition to
    memory, CPU and link bandwidth that should be subject to explicitly
    unfair resource allocation.  The proposed methods are intended to
    operate purely at the network layer, providing the primitives needed
    to achieve both transport and higher layer QoS objectives.  It
    explicitly excludes any discussion of Quality of Experience (QoE)
    which can only be assessed and controlled at the application layer 
or
    above.

Best regards,
Dirk