Subject: [icnrg] Project Connected Home over IP (CHIP)

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 13:49:32 +0200

Hi ICNRG,

You may have heard about the ZigBee Alliance's CHIP Working Group: 
https://www.connectedhomeip.com/

Quoting from their website:
_The goal of the Connected Home over IP project is to simplify 
development for manufacturers and increase compatibility for consumers. 
The project is built around a shared belief that smart home devices 
should be secure, reliable, and seamless to use. By building upon 
Internet Protocol (IP), the project aims to enable communication across 
smart home devices, mobile apps, and cloud services and to define a 
specific set of IP-based networking technologies for device 
certification._

If you want to get an idea about what this could mean technically, check 
out:

* 
https://www.blog.google/products/google-nest/developing-standard-smart-home-industry/
* https://openthread.io/
* https://openweave.io/

Thread is a 6lowpan-based mesh networking architecture that includes its 
own mesh routing protocol, a mesh commissioning (onboarding new devices) 
etc.

Weave is a set of application-layer protocols for naming and addressing 
that is intended provide naming/adressing across a whole  home network 
with different subnets and link layer technologies. It includes its own 
messaging protocol that is supposed to be used over different 
transports, primarily over UDP 
(https://openweave.io/documents/protocol-specification-weave-message-layer.pdf).

I am posting this here because the ICN community has investigated home 
networks (and specifically the issues of current home networking 
systems) before, for example UCLA's paper on "breaking out of the cloud" 
(https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3054977.3054993), so I hope this 
will be of interest to some of us.

Best regards,
Dirk