Subject: [icnrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 15:49:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Information-Centric Networking RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : Native Deployment of ICN in LTE, 4G Mobile Networks
        Authors         : Prakash Suthar
                          Milan Stolic
                          Anil Jangam
                          Dirk Trossen
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
	Filename        : draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-07.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2020-05-25

Abstract:
   LTE, 4G mobile networks use IP-based transport for control plane to
   establish the data session and user plane for actual data delivery.
   In existing architecture, IP transport used in the user plane is not
   optimized for data transport, which leads to an inefficient data
   delivery.  IP unicast routing from server to clients is used for
   delivery of multimedia content to User Equipment (UE), where each
   user gets a separate stream.  From a bandwidth and routing
   perspective, this approach is inefficient.  Multicast and broadcast
   technologies have emerged recently for mobile networks, but their
   deployments are very limited or at an experimental stage due to
   complex architecture and radio spectrum issues.  ICN is a rapidly
   emerging technology with built-in features for efficient multimedia
   data delivery.  However much of the work is focused on fixed
   networks.  The focus of this draft is on native deployment of ICN in
   cellular mobile networks by using ICN in a 3GPP protocol stack.  ICN
   has an inherent capability for multicast, anchorless mobility and
   security, and it is optimized for data delivery using local caching
   at the edge.  The proposed approaches in this draft allow ICN to be
   enabled natively over the current LTE stack comprising PDCP/RLC/MAC/
   PHY, or in a dual stack mode (along with IP).  These approaches can
   help optimize the mobile networks by leveraging the inherent benefits
   of ICN.  This document is a product of the Information-Centric
   Networking Research Group (ICNRG).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-icnrg-icn-lte-4g-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/