Subject: [icnrg] About a Restful Information-centric Web of Things

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 13:51:00 +0200

Dear ICNRG,

for those who have not participated in this year's ICN conference, I 
would like to draw attention to the very inspiring presentation of Cenk:
https://dl.acm.org/action/downloadSupplement?doi=10.1145%2F3405656.3418718&file=p77-gundogan-presentation.mp4&download=true

This contribution actually works out a link between current IETF 
developments from the IoT Core WG, and all the thoughts and insights we 
have gained from almost 10 years of ICN-IoT research.

Cenk shows how ICN concepts and principles can be deployed today in IP 
networks with existing and emerging protocols - to the benefit of 
performance, reliability, and robustness of the IoT. Even though the 
Core protocols were not meant to be information-centric, they can 
deliver this service. Wow!

I'd like to consider this seminal for the ICNRG in the sense that it 
opens a door: ICN research can now find its way into regular IETF 
protocols and common deployment - without the high hurdle of replacing IP.

Paper: https://doi.org/10.1145/3405656.3418718

Best,
  thomas

-- 

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                  Berliner Tor 7 °
° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group   20099 Hamburg, Germany °
° http://inet.haw-hamburg.de/members/schmidt      Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °

---

From: Marie-Jose Montpetit <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 07:07:34 -0500

I agree. A lot of IoT systems are known as “data centric” and the ICN
heritage is important there. And that goes into edge/fog networking too.

mjm

Marie-José Montpetit, Ph.D.
[email-masked]

On October 23, 2020 at 7:51:18 AM, Thomas C. Schmidt (
[email-masked]) wrote:

Dear ICNRG,

Best,
thomas

-- 

_______________________________________________
icnrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/icnrg