Subject: [icnrg] [CFP] - Distributed Interactive Systems for Collaboration Experiences (DISCE) at IEEE VR

From: Susmit Shannigrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2021 15:07:55 -0600

Dear Colleagues,

With apologies for cross-posting, please see below the CFP for the
Distributed Interactive Systems for Collaboration Experiences (DISCE)
workshop at IEEE VR 2021. Please forward this as appropriate.

Thank you for your consideration,
Susmit

--
Susmit Shannigrahi
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
Tennessee Tech University
Web: https://susm.it

Distributed Interactive Systems for Collaboration Experiences (DISCE) at
IEEE VR 2021

Dear All,
Distributed Interactive Systems for Collaboration Experiences (DISCE) will
seek research and position submissions on collaborative Virtual or
Augmented Reality three-dimensional interactive systems that have a remote
component (e.g., Telepresence, Mixed-presence). The goal is to identify and
discuss common interests, the latest research, and the
difficulties/challenges that remote collaborative systems may have (e.g.,
network latency, interaction techniques).

Imagine a world where many people in numerous locations collectively solve
complex problems using augmented/virtual reality head-mounted displays. We
have seen this type of automation in some industrial research and in a few
commercially available applications (e.g., HoloLens Microsoft Dynamics
365). However, some AR/VR applications are network and compute-intensive,
often exceeding the acceptable latency for interactive systems (app
dependent).

Since the speed of light limits network communication, merely creating
faster networks with more bandwidth will not solve this problem. Instead,
we need to find new solutions to improve collaborative systems when using
AR/VR, especially when the systems are interactive.

This workshop will bring together researchers and industry practitioners to
discuss and experience the future of three-dimensional distributed
collaborative interactive systems and their challenges. We invite authors
to submit 4-6 page research and position papers on any of the following
topics:

   -

   AR/VR remote collaborative applications
   -

   AR/VR latency improvements or challenges (e.g., Network Latency) dealing
   with collaborative systems.
   -

   Interaction techniques for remote collaborative applications
   -

   Object ownership and ownership transference techniques for collaborative
   environments
   -

   Multimodal and unimodal recognition for AR/VR remote collaborative
   applications (e.g., Gestures, speech, Gesture+speech).
   -

   Machine-learning techniques to lower latency (e.g., prediction) in
   collaborative systems.
   -

   Open-source projects that support remote collaborative applications
   -

   Software-engineering and Systems topics that support AR/VR distributed
   collaborative applications.
   -

   Security and Privacy topics related to remote collaborative
   applications.
   -

   Ethical concerns about the use of AR/VR remote collaborative applications
   -

   New networking architectures and protocols to support next-generation
   collaborative systems
   -

   User studies evaluating the above topics.

Submission guidelines:

All submissions will be reviewed by experts in the areas listed above. At
least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop
and IEEE VR 2021 conference. Authors of accepted papers will be expected to
give a 10 minute at the workshop and encouraged to give a demonstration of
their research as a video. Proceedings will be submitted for inclusion in
the IEEE Xplore Library. We will also host the papers on this site.

Papers should be submitted via PCS: https://new.precisionconference.com

Submissions must be anonymized and in PDF format, in the VGTC format:
http://junctionpublishing.org/vgtc/Tasks/camera.html

All submissions will be reviewed by experts in the areas listed above. At
least one author of each accepted submission must register for the workshop
and IEEE VR 2021 conference. Authors of accepted papers will be expected to
give a 10 minute at the workshop and encouraged to give a demonstration of
their research as a video. Proceedings will be submitted for inclusion in
the IEEE Xplore Library. We will also host the papers on
https://sites.google.com/view/disce

 Important Dates:

   -

   Submission Deadline: 17 January 2021 AOE
   -

   Notification Deadline: February 1st 2021 AOE
   -

   Camera-Ready: 12 February 2021  AOE

Organizers:

Francisco R. Ortega, Colorado State University, [email-masked]

Adam S. Williams, Colorado State University, [email-masked]

Daniel Szafir, University of Colorado, [email-masked]

Rajiv Khadka, Idaho National Laboratory, [email-masked]

Nathaniel Blanchard, Colorado State University,
[email-masked]

Spyridon Mastorakis, University of Nebraska at Omaha,
[email-masked]

Susmit Shannigrahi, Tennessee Tech, [email-masked]

Zahra “Faezeh” Borhani, Colorado State University,
[email-masked]