Subject: [icnrg] RFC 9064 published

From: Dirk Kutscher <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2021 14:23:01 +0200

Hi ICNRG,

I'm happy to share that RFC 9064 on **Considerations in the Development 
of a QoS Architecture for CCNx-Like Information-Centric Networking 
Protocols** has now been published.

Thanks to Dave Oran (author) and everyone involved in helping getting 
this published!

This is a position paper. It documents the author's personal views on 
how Quality of Service (QoS) capabilities ought to be accommodated in 
Information-Centric Networking (ICN) protocols like Content-Centric 
Networking (CCNx) or Named Data Networking (NDN), which employ 
flow-balanced Interest/Data exchanges and hop-by-hop forwarding state as 
their fundamental machinery. It argues that such protocols demand a 
substantially different approach to QoS from that taken in TCP/IP and 
proposes specific design patterns to achieve both classification and 
differentiated QoS treatment on both a flow and aggregate basis. It also 
considers the effect of caches in addition to memory, CPU, and link 
bandwidth as resources that should be subject to explicitly unfair 
resource allocation. The proposed methods are intended to operate purely 
at the network layer, providing the primitives needed to achieve 
transport- and higher-layer QoS objectives. It explicitly excludes any 
discussion of Quality of Experience (QoE), which can only be assessed 
and controlled at the application layer or above.

This document is not a product of the IRTF Information-Centric 
Networking Research Group (ICNRG) but has been through formal Last Call 
and has the support of the participants in the research group for 
publication as an individual submission.

https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9064

Best regards,
Dirk