Subject: [icnrg] I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-flic-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 04:20:28 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Information-Centric Networking RG of the IRTF.

        Title           : File-Like ICN Collections (FLIC)
        Authors         : Christian Tschudin
                          Christopher A. Wood
                          Marc Mosko
                          David Oran
	Filename        : draft-irtf-icnrg-flic-03.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2021-11-07

Abstract:
   This document describes a simple "index table" data structure and its
   associated ICN data objects for organizing a set of primitive ICN
   data objects into a large, File-Like ICN Collection (FLIC).  At the
   core of this collection is a _manifest_ which acts as the
   collection's root node.  The manifest contains an index table with
   pointers, each pointer being a hash value pointing to either a final
   data block or another index table node.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-icnrg-flic/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-irtf-icnrg-flic-03.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-icnrg-flic-03

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "David R. Oran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 07:31:32 -0500

ICNRG folks,

The authors have finally gotten around to updating the FLIC draft, after 
multiple rounds of work over an extended period. This is not final by 
any means, and there are a number of notes in the draft on material that 
needs to be added and further refined before we are ready for last call. 
However, given that this has quite a few changes and re-written 
sections, we would appreciate a thorough review by the RG participants, 
as FLIC is a major piece of data structure work that has wide 
applicability to ICN applications.

Among the important changes are:

- Completely re-done encryption section with two fully-worked-out 
encryption encapsulations for different usage models
- Redesign of how FLIC is integrated into namespace schemas, with the 
notion of “namespaces” in the old drafty replaced with a new way of 
describing this though “name constructors”
- Extensibility scheme defined, with two kinds of extensions supported:
	- Manifest metadata extensions
	- pointer annotation extensions
- New security considerations section which also addresses privacy
- Re-worked introduction that decouples better from the i-node 
historical analogy (while retaining it to help folks coming at FLIC for 
the first time), and portions FLIc in terms of its experimental value in 
ICN research.

We would appreciate all review comments, and especially text suggestions 
for the places that still need to be fleshed out more.

Best Regards,
Dave Oran (for the FLIC authors)

Forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-icnrg-flic-03.txt
> Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 04:20:28 -0800
>
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt