Subject: [icnrg] ACM SIGCOMM (Amsterdam) calling for tutorials and hackathons

From: Aaron Ding <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 20:33:53 +0100

IE/IRTF hackers and engineers,

Call for Tutorials and Hackathons at ACM SIGCOMM 2022 in Amsterdam:
https://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2022/cf-tutorials.html

We seek to extend the SIGCOMM experience by tutorials on selected topics 
given
by renowned scientists and practitioners in their fields. We therefore 
solicit
proposals for full-day or half-day tutorials on topics relevant to the 
SIGCOMM
community. We also solicit proposals to organize hackathons co-located 
with
SIGCOMM.

Tutorials must cover advanced topics that fit the scope of SIGCOMM and 
are of
current interest to the SIGCOMM community. Tutorials may be lectures,
interactive workshops, hands-on training, or any combination of the 
above.
Successful tutorials educate the community members on emerging methods,
concepts, and tools to expand the research capabilities of the 
community.
Cross-disciplinary topics are also welcome. Exploring diverse ways of
organizing the content, delivering the tutorial, and interacting with 
the
audience are especially encouraged.

A hackathon is an intense goal-oriented team-work activity organized in 
a
sprint-like one-day event, where members from various backgrounds and
expertise come together to work towards the stated goals of the 
hackathon. We
encourage applications from all fields that fit the interest of the 
SIGCOMM
community.

The current plan is that SIGCOMM 2022 will be primarily an in-person
conference. Still, we ask the authors to prepare a "plan B" for an 
online
tutorial/hackathon, in case there are travel restrictions due to 
COVID-19 at
the time of the event.

** Where To Submit
Tutorial and hackathon proposals should be submitted in PDF format, 
should not
exceed three (3) pages in total, and be sent to the Tutorial/Hackathon 
Co-chairs.

** Submit a Tutorial/Hackathon Proposal
Please visit 
https://conferences.sigcomm.org/sigcomm/2022/cf-tutorials.html

** Important dates
Submission deadline: April 9, 2022.
Notification of acceptance: April 30, 2022.

** Tutorial Proposals Must Include
- A motivation for the tutorial (why this, why now, why at SIGCOMM?).
- An outline of the tutorial content, including its tentative schedule 
(over a
half-day or full-day).
- The type of tutorial (e.g., lecture vs. hands-on). It is highly 
recommended
that full-day tutorials should include a hands-on component and not be 
limited
to only lectures. Hands-on components are well-known to be more engaging 
and
pedagogically better in teaching for full-day events.
- References to previous iterations of the tutorial (if applicable) 
including
their date, venue, topics and number of participants and the motivation 
for
the new proposal.
- Requirements for the attendees (e.g., must bring own laptop or other
hardware, familiarity with certain technologies or topics, speed of 
Internet
connection, artifacts to download beforehand, etc.).
- A clear indication whether or not the tutorial artifacts (slides, 
video,
notebooks, containers/VMs, etc.) are allowed to be posted publicly at 
the
onference website.
- Special requirements for a possible online tutorial.

** Hackathon Proposals Must Include
- A motivation for the hackathon (why this, why now, why at SIGCOMM?).
- An outline of the goals and guidelines of the hackathon, including its
tentative schedule.
- References to previous iterations of the hackathon (if applicable) 
including
their date, venue, topics and number of participants and the motivation 
for
the new proposal.
- Requirements for the attendees (e.g., must bring own laptop or other
hardware, familiarity with certain technologies or topics, speed of 
Internet
connection, artifacts to download beforehand, etc.).
- Special requirements for a possible online hackathon.

** Important notes
- Each tutorial will be scheduled at a particular time slot on Monday 
August
22nd, preceding the first day of the main SIGCOMM conference and in 
parallel
with the workshops. The hackathons will be scheduled on Saturday August 
27th,
after the last day of the main SIGCOMM conference.
- Preference in the acceptance decision process will be given to
tutorial/hackathon submissions that (1) provide hands-on experience to 
the
attendees, (2) build on open content that can be freely posted on the
conference website, and (3) formulate a clear and viable plan to hold 
the
event online if the COVID-19 situation requires so and make reasonable 
effort
to prepare for the online format (i.e., use Jupyter notebooks for 
hands-on
material, offer preinstalled VMs/containers, etc.).
- It is recommended that there are up to three speakers for a full-day
tutorial and up to two speakers for a half-day tutorial.
- Upon acceptance of a tutorial/hackathon proposal, either the
Tutorial/Hackathon Co-chairs or the tutorial speakers/hackathon 
organizers can
request a cancellation if there is clear evidence indicating low 
attendance by
the early registration deadline.

Compensation to tutorial speakers and hackathon organizers will not be 
provided.

** Contact the Tutorial/Hackathon Chairs
Yang Chen <[email-masked]>
Gabor Retvari <[email-masked]>

Cheers,
Aaron