Subject: Typo in draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-09.txt,.ps

From: Sundeep Singatwaria <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 19:48:07 -0700

there is a typo in dvmrp draft on Pg. 11 first para

If this prune state has caused the prune information to be sent upstream, a
graft will need to be sent upstream just as though.....
				^^^^^^^
				   |
should be downstream.

Sundeep

At 06:51 AM 9/22/99 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
>This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Multicast Routing Working
Group of the IETF.
>
>	Title		: Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol
>	Author(s)	: T. Pusateri
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-09.txt,.ps
>	Pages		: 48
>	Date		: 21-Sep-99
>	
>DVMRP is an Internet routing protocol that provides an efficient
>mechanism for connection-less datagram delivery to a group of hosts
>across an internetwork. It is a distributed protocol that dynamically
>generates IP Multicast delivery trees using a technique called
>Reverse Path Multicasting (RPM) [Deer90]. This document is an update
>to Version 1 of the protocol specified in RFC 1075 [Wait88].
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-09.txt
>
>Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
>"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
>type "cd internet-drafts" and then
>	"get draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-09.txt".
>
>A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
>http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>
>
>Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
>
>Send a message to:
>	[email-masked].
>In the body type:
>	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-09.txt".
>	
>NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
>	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
>	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
>	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
>	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
>	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
>	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
>	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
>	how to manipulate these messages.
>		
>		
>Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
>implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
>Internet-Draft.
>
>Content-type: Multipart/Alternative; boundary="OtherAccess"
>Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:26:17 +0000
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idmr-dvmrp-v3-09.txt>
>

---

From: Thomas Maufer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 01:07:10 -0700

At 19:48 -0700 1-Oct-1999, Sundeep Singatwaria wrote:

>                           ^^^^^^^^

Sundeep--

Actually, the draft is correct.  The graft process starts with
a router that is, almost by definition, attached to a leaf of
the tree that -- here's the key -- previously had no group
members.  Once a group member announces its presence (via an
IGMP Report message), the leaf router needs to send the graft
upstream to erase the prune state.  The graft will travel as
far as it needs to, stopping when it encounters a router that
is on an active branch of the distribution tree.  That router
will add the interface on which the graft was received to its
forwarding state for that (s,g) pair, and then data will begin
flowing downstream (of course, only if that source is actually
sending to that group at that time).  If there are any routers
between the on-tree router and the leaf that sent the original
prune, they just need to erase their prune state...once a data
packet arrives it will stimulate the creation of forwarding
state for this (s,g) pair.

Cheers,
Tom
-- 
Thomas Maufer                    "Lots of things are simple when   |o|
                                     you ignore the hard parts."   |o|
PGP Key Fingerprint (DSS):                                         |o|
 0E37 CE46 9D05 63C5 BD8C          - Mark Handley, 22-Sept.-1998   |o|
 1242 5240 843D A36B FEB1            (quote used with permission)  |o|