Subject: RE: IGMP snooping draft: Solicitation for Comments

From: Sundeep Singatwaria <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:15:30 -0800

We have been supporting IGMP snopping on our Accelar switches for many years
now. Cisco, has it own propiteary way of doing snopping. Are we
standardizing it now. How come there is a renewed interest for this in IETF
when it was considered outside its charter a couple of years back.
 
Sundeep.

-----Original Message-----
From: Morten Jagd Christensen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2001 5:39 AM
To: idmr
Subject: IGMP snooping draft: Solicitation for Comments

Hi, 

Some of you may have seen that we have posted a draft on this list 
on aspects of IGMP snooping switches. 

The draft is available as: draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-snoop-00.txt 

A presentation of this draft was made at the IETF meeting last 
week. Generally I would say that the draft was well received with only 
positive comments or encouragements although it will probably move 
out of the idmr WG soon. 

Since the IETF idmr WG meeting had a limited number of attendees 
compared to the number of subscribers of this list (I suppose)  I would 
like to solicit for comments on the draft. 

So, please send us comments if: 

1) You have read the draft and have any comments whatsoever. No comment 
is to simple. 

2) You are working for a company producing IGMP snooping switches and 
have experiences that you want to share. For example regarding
interoperability 
issues or solutions that you have found to be practical. 

3) You know some people who might be interested in this work. Either send me

their email addresses or forward this mail to them. 

4) You're IGMP agnostic but still want to share your view on this. 

You can either post your reply to the discussion list or you can email me 
directly (CC to Frank Solensky) is you don't want your name out in the 
public. 

Your contribution will be appreciated. 

Cheers 

/Morten 

-------------------------------------------------- 
Morten Jagd Christensen        | Exbit Technology 
M.Sc., Ph.D.                   | www.exbit.com 
Network- and System Architect  | [email-masked]

---

From: Frank Solensky <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:37:18 -0500

> We have been supporting IGMP snopping on our Accelar switches
> for many years now. Cisco, has it own propiteary way of doing
> snopping. Are we standardizing it now. How come there is a
> renewed interest for this in IETF when it was considered
> outside its charter a couple of years back.

The suggestion was made during the working group meeting last week that this
document should go the BCP route instead of "standards track" and would also
be handed off into the IGMP working group once it becomes official.

I'll admit that the prior round of interest in IGMP snooping predates my
activity in the working group and, I believe, Morton's as well.  Our sense
was that since multiple vendors either already or will soon support this
functionality, it would be a good idea to at least identify some of the
issues that if overlooked might result in interoperability problems.

						-- Frank

---

From: "Humphries, Kevin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:35:36 -0500

Hi all,
      Having just joined the group I also am not familiar with the past
history on this draft, however, when I was asked to fix a L2 snooping bug
for my company a while back I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for
a draft/standard that would bring my up to speed on how IGMP L2 Snooping
should work.  I sway on the side of making some sort of a document
describing L2 snooping, just for educational purposes if nothing else.
Although I would be interested in working on the document.

Kevin

*-----------------*
Kevin Humphries
Enterasys Networks