Subject: querier election

From: Abdelkader Lahmadi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:54:28 +0200

hi,
on a network, on router side of IGMPv3, what is the mecanism of the querier
election ? is the router with the lowest version of IGMP is the querier?
thanks,
 ---------------------------------------------
  Lahmadi Abdelkader
  LORIA - UHP NANCY I
  CAMPUS SCIENTIFIQUE B.P.239
  54506 VANDOEUVRE-LES-NANCY CEDEX
  E-mail : [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------

---

From: Siddhartha Karan Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:35:31 -0400

Hi,
    Is'nt that the one with the lowest IP address.

---

From: Abdelkader Lahmadi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 10:42:04 +0200

hi,
what is the interaction between the multicast routing protocol and IGMPv3
router side ?

---

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:48:58 -0700

>what is the interaction between the multicast routing protocol and IGMPv3

The IGMPv3 router side notifies the routing protocol of receiver
interest on the network.  The routing protocol takes that into account
(along with other information) when deciding how to forward packets.
See, for example, the pim_include() and pim_exclude() macros in the
PIM spec, draft-ietf-pim-v2-new-02.{txt,ps}.  Also see
draft-ietf-idmr-igmpv3-and-routing-00.txt .

The router may end up forwarding more than requested onto the LAN, e.g.
because another router might want the traffic, when the LAN is being used
for transit.  Also, host A might include (S1,G) and host B might include
(S2,G) and the router would have to forward both S1 and S2 onto the LAN,
so systems already have to be able to handle seeing traffic on the LAN
that they don't want.

  Bill

---

From: Abdelkader Lahmadi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 15:29:56 +0200

hello,
i'm working on an implementation fo an IGMP proxy according to your draft "IGMP
proxing" and the draft of IGMPv3. i have implement a prototype of this proxy,
without the forwarding rules, i will use the API given with the implementation
of PIM-SM (by Ahmed Helmy), to updat th Multicast forwarding Cach in the Kernel
to do the forwarding rules. then i think to integrate this proxy in the hole
implementation of pim-sm to have a mulicast router using PIM-SM and IGMPv3
router side. but in your draft of igmp proxy, you mentionned the spanning tree
multicast protocol, i haven't a big idea on this protocol so where can i find
more information about i? and an IGMP proxy is designed to be used with this
protocol, or any multicast protocol?
regards,
---------------------------------------------
  Lahmadi Abdelkader
  LORIA - UHP NANCY I
  CAMPUS SCIENTIFIQUE B.P.239
  54506 VANDOEUVRE-LES-NANCY CEDEX
  E-mail : [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------