Subject: IDMR 50 minutes

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:10:04 -0700 (PDT)

IDMR met in one meeting at the 50th IETF.

These minutes are reported by Bill Fenner.

After the usual agenda bashing and document status session, there
were four presentations of new work.

Isidor Kouvelas presented MSNIP, the Multicast Source Notification
of Interest Protocol, draft-ietf-idmr-msnip-00.{txt,ps}.  This
protocol allows routers to notify an end system when there is
interest in reception of a given SSM stream (see the presentation
slides for more details).  There was interest expressed in a more
general protocol that would allow handle non-SSM groups and also
work with no router present.  No course of action was decided upon
at the meeting.

Brian Haberman presented a document on the interactions between
IGMPv3 and routing protocols, draft-ietf-idmr-igmpv3-and-routing-00.txt .

Haixang He presented draft-he-mixed-igmp-proxy-00.txt, an extension
to the ideas in draft-fenner-igmp-proxy-04.txt, to allow different
IGMP versions on different interfaces.  The authors of the two
specs decided to work together on a single proxying spec.

Morten Christensen presented a document on IGMP snooping,
draft-ietf-idmr-snoop-00.txt .  This document includes
the problems that it introduces and some education for switch
vendors.

Bill Fenner and Brian Haberman then presented a proposal to terminate
the IDMR working group and spin up a new working group, called MAGMA --
Multicast/Anycast Group Membership.  Since IDMR's work items are almost
completely IGMP, it doesn't make sense to have a routing-area group,
and IDMR's history still includes some overhead.  There was wide
support in the meeting for this change.