Subject: [idn] Some opinions on Requirements of IDN

From: "xiaodong.lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Feb 2001 12:42:37 HKT

hello
I have some opinions on "Requirements of Internationalized Domain Name"
just hoping someone on the list can tell me the particular or exact
answer,thanks anyway for any help on making clear

>[4] The protocol MUST NOT require that the current DNS cache
>servers be modified to support IDN.  If a cache server can have
>additional functionality to support IDN better, this additional
>functionality MUST NOT cause problems for resolving correctly
>functioning current domain names.

   In the future, when IDN become a standrad, is it
 necessary that we Must NOT modify the (current)DNS
 cache server to support IDN? I originally think that
 this requirement consider the requirement of the IDN
 final solution, if so, why have this limitation?

>[8] The protocol supporting the service SHOULD be as simple as possible
>from the user's perspective. Ideally, users SHOULD NOT realize that IDN
>was added on to the existing DNS.
 
    Here, the concept of "user" is indistinct. 
    If "user"=Application, the limitation of "users
  SHOULD NOT realize that IDN was added on to the existing DNS" will 
  limit the extension of application interface to be compatible 
  with IDN.

>[35] Within a single zone, the zone manager MUST be able to define
>equivalence rules that suit the purpose of the zone, such as, but not
>limited to, and not necessarily, non-ASCII case folding, Unicode
>normalizations (if Unicode is chosen), Cyrillic/Greek/Latin folding, or
>traditional/simplified Chinese equivalence. Such defined equivalences
>MUST NOT remove equivalences that are assumed by (old or
>local-rule-ignorant) caches.

   If the zone manager of any node could change the equivalence rules, 
 the inconsistent equivalences of the whole IDN system would be 
 brought on.

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1