Subject: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-mua-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 07:26:13 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internationalized Domain Name Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Internationalizing Domain Names in Mail User Agents
	Author(s)	: M. Kang
	Filename	: draft-ietf-idn-mua-00.txt
	Pages		: 
	Date		: 08-Feb-01
	
This document describes a way where domain names used in Internet e-mail 
can be internationalized by making changes only to end-user Mail User 
Agents and, by doing so, avoid damaging other applications which handle
Internet e-mail, such as Message Transfer Agents and Delivery Agents.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-mua-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-idn-mua-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idn-mua-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Maynard Kang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 18:24:48 -0800

Hi all,

Just some clarification as to the purpose of this document.

Basically it is not intended to supersede IDNA, which is the direction of
this working group now, but rather, it is a supporting document which serves
to highlight certain issues MUAs may face when implementing IDNA (e.g.
whether or not to render ACE when displaying IDNs part of mail content).

As suggested by Paul Hoffman, this document will be evolved in due time to
cover not just MUAs, but also other applications which face similar
implementation issues, such as browsers and HTML editors (e.g. should all
ACE IDNs appearing in HTML be rendered as abstract characters? Or displayed
literally as ASCII if they are not part of a URL?)

Comments are welcome.

maynard