Subject: RE: [idn] Fast nameprep vs. slow nameprep

From: Karlsson Kent - keka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 13:20:21 +0100

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Patrik Fältström [mailto:[email-masked]]
...
> I created the confusion by seeing the need that the nameprep is NOT 
> done in the resolver libraries or in the DNS server, i.e. somewhere 
> between the keyboard and the application layer protocols (out of 
  ^^^^^^^

Ok, if that is a *strict* between.

	/kent k

---

From: Dan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 11:00:16 +0100 (MET)

Dan J writes:

>Uppercase letters will simply be prohibited by registrars. They won't
>work in domain names, and users won't type them.
>

Why should upper case letters be prohibited? I allow it in my domain today
and see no reason to disallow it. It enhances readability!
Forcing names into lower case does not make them better.
It makes them more difficult to read, more difficult to enter and
breaks current sematics on name matching and peoples expectations
on how things work.
Using mixed case in names is extremely popular today.
Of course users will type them. And will be very confused if they do
not work. Different case will occur by mistake. Case used in a domain
names should not matter when comparing names. Case should be preserved
in DNS (it says so in the RFCs, and it does not say just ASCII).

A solution for IDNs in DNS must allow mixed case (even for non-ASCII).

   Dan