Subject: [idn] patent number 6,182,148

From: Rick H Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:26:40 -0800 (PST)

all:

Has anyone thought about the Walid patent and its potential impact on
NamePrep and any of the *ACE the working group is looking at.

After reading the patent claims it sounds like they have patented all
ACE algotithms including RACE and it also appears to cover NamePrep.

Are any of the Multilingual technology providors looking at this patent
to be sure they are not inrenging on Walids patent.

Walid: will you be going after Multilingual Technology providers for
Licenseing fees?

I ssure would enjoy seeing this topic discussed BEFORE the next IETF
meeting.

-rick

---

From: [email-masked] (J. William Semich)
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:36:54 -0500

Is this a patent, or just a patent application?

Bill Semich

At 09:26 AM 3/14/01 -0800, Rick H Wesson wrote:
>---------
>Participants on the Verisign Global Registry Services mltestbed list are
requested to not cross-post messages.

---

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 18:45:35 -0800

>Is this a patent, or just a patent application?

It is a patent.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:19:27 +0800

For details, see http://www.delphion.com/details?pn=US06182148__

1. A method of converting an internet international domain name to an
RFC1035 compliant format, where the international domain name includes
non-English characters which are RFC1035 non-compliant, the method
comprising:

  a.. intercepting the international domain name, where the intercepting
is transparent to the user;
  b.. transforming the international domain name to an RFC1035 compliant
domain name;
  c.. automatically generating a redirector string which includes
information for resolving the RFC1035 compliant domain name; and
  d.. appending the redirector string to the RFC1035 compliant do main
name.
It is not a total lost hope and there could be workaround and comprise
btw. But I would not make any committments until our (i-DNS.net) lawyers
finish evaluting the consequences.

-James Seng

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 21:06:21 -0800

Wouldn't this patent fall apart the first time it was challenged? I thought
that Martin's UTF-5 publicly predated this. UTF-7 certainly did, and that
meets most of the criteria below. Looks like an attempt to patent apple-pie
to me.

Mark