Subject: Re: [idn] A question about the display of decoded IDNs

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:42:36 +0900

Hello Yves,

I think Adam has given a very good explanation already. Language
information and identifiers just don't work together very well.
Allowing some language tagging in identifiers would only
confuse things, e.g. there could be two identifiers that look
exactly the same (of course in Europe, but just as well in
East Asia), but would behave differently, which would confuse
everybody. Also, it wouldn't be possible to make sure that the
language tagging survives on a napkin,...

Regards,   Martin.

At 21:15 01/03/29 -0800, Yves Arrouye wrote:
>In IDN, I haven't seen such tagging in the ACE encodings I've looked at
>(namely RACE and LACE; pardon me if this has been addressed in other ACEs).
>As a matter of fact, the ACE is always being said to be applied to a UTF-16
>buffer, with no mention of language tagging (wether the name uses a single
>language or many). Which means that there may be an upcoming display problem
>for IDNs.

---

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:50:58 -0800

> Also, it wouldn't be possible to make sure that the

I had forgotten about the napkin issue ;-)

Thanks all for your sensible explanation (I received similar private
replies).
YA