Subject: [idn] Fw: idn list - something broke

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:31:12 +0800

dunno why it got send to this address but anyway, i presumed it is
suppose to go to the list...

james

----- Original Message -----
From: "msquared" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 9:21 AM
Subject: idn list - something broke

> As you can see from the headers of the attached email, something broke
> between Måns sending, and me receiving.
>
> Whether it's Måns' mailer, or the idn list software, I don't know, but
I
> thought I'd let you know.  :-)
>
>              2
> Regards, /|/|
>         /   |
>

From: [email-masked]
To: Mark Welter <[email-masked]>
Cc: Johnny Eriksson <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:59:13 -0800

<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [idn] IDN character repertoire, nameprep
Sender: [email-masked]
Precedence: bulk

Subject: Re: [idn] IDN character repertoire, nameprep Date: Tue, Mar 20,
2001 at 05:46:44PM -0500 Quoting Mark Welter ([email-masked]):
>
> This is a great analogy.  Marc Blanchet made the point that registrars
don't control
> (most) third or lower level names.  The question then is, do we want
to have the
> highway patrol handing out speeding tickets for how fast you are
driving in your own
> back yard?  The related question is whether there should be back-yard
speed limit.

We should advise them in no uncertain terms. Having spent a year with
my hands deep in the day-to-day management of a ccTLD Registry, I have
a very dystopic view of the general cluon amount present in DNS server
admins. Any lax in advised policies (as in 'anything goes') is a sure
fire recipy to meltdown.

In the 'old days' people took care to follow rules. Now money has come
in play, as we all know. The extra effort to do the right thing is
overseen.

>    I think that zone file administrators can police themselves. If
they are
> "bad actors" we have other, bigger problems.

You are an optimist. :-)

I'm thinking about cache poisoning and similar leakage. Compare this
with
the extreme care the operations people use when setting up mere test
beds
for IPv6 DNS...

--
Måns Nilsson MN1334-RIPE
http://vvv.besserwisser.org

UH-OH!!  We're out of AUTOMOBILE PARTS and RUBBER GOODS!