Subject: RE: [idn] Powerpoint

From: "Russ Rolfe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:46:44 -0800

> Does Powerpoint allow presentations to be saved in an open format, 

Yes, you can save a powerpoint presentation in HTML format.

Russ Rolfe ([email-masked])
Windows Division
Are you World-Ready? http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam M. Costello [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2001 2:34 PM
To: idn working group
Subject: [idn] Powerpoint

It seems strange to me that the presentations of an IETF working group
charged with developing an open standard are available only in a
proprietary format (Powerpoint).

Am I the only one on this list who doesn't have Powerpoint?

Does Powerpoint allow presentations to be saved in an open format, like
PDF?  (Or PostScript, though I have yet to see correct PostScript come
out of any Microsoft application.  I heard that there's a printer driver
option that allows you to "optimize for portability", but apparently
very few people know about it.)

AMC

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 22:17:03 -0500

> Yes, you can save a powerpoint presentation in HTML format.

does it generate valid HTML now?  with every version I've seen, the HTML 
that PowerPoint generated was both incorrect and incompatible with UNIX 
servers (due to inconsistent spelling of filenames.)

IMNSHO proprietary presentation formats have no place in IETF.

Keith