Subject: [idn] draft-skwan-utf8-dns-05.txt

From: [email-masked] (David C Lawrence)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:32:37 -0500 (EST)

Microsoft has resubmitted their "just send UFT-8" draft,
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-skwan-utf8-dns-05.txt

No character set tagging, no indication of UTF-8 support, just use UTF-8.

Curiously, the Security Considerations section reads, in its entirety:

  The choice of character encoding for names does not impact the
  security of the DNS protocol. 

Mmm, glad to see that was so well thought out.

---

From: "Brian W. Spolarich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 12:12:43 -0500

So this is the sixth version of this draft?

  It certainly hasn't gotten any better, and skwan, et. al. continue to ignore
the nameprep-related issues, and apparently don't give a hoot about
interoperability with the larger world.

  I'd like to hear from the authors why they think nameprep is not important.
Given the variety of IMEs that are available on the various Win32 platforms
and MS's fairly strong position wrt i18n, I would figure they've encountered
the 'sequences that look the same but aren't' problem.

  -bws

---

From: "James Seng/Personal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 01:27:44 +0800

hi guys,

before this goes on further into a bashing session,

1. stuart is just doing updating to keep the I-D 'alive' every 6months.
   as such, i think -05 is not very different from the -04.

2. stuart did ask if he should publish this as the WG I-D.
   unfortunately, that was after the cut-off date for new I-D
   so we told him to publish it as individual I-D first.

   Given this discussion, I suggest Stuart do a major review of his
   I-D before submitting it again to the WG.

*cheers*

-James Seng