Subject: Re: [idn] my humble opinion

From: Thaweesak Taekratok <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:23:06 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for sharing your opinion.  Yes, the bookmark may not be sufficient if it is for individual use.  However, we can design a remote bookmark that works like the permission in unix, i.e., individual, group, public.  If you want to share paricular website with your friend, you can promote it to a group bookmark.  If particular website may be useful for public, you can request an authorized person to promote it to a public bookmark(this will be like open directory project with expert volunteers).  On the point of not knowing the actual url, you still can since each local name is still editable.  So you still can see the actual url of that associated name. 

--- John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
> wrote:
>--On Thursday, 22 March, 2001 10:34 -0800 Thaweesak Taekratok
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>... 
>> What are we trying to accomplish with this Internationalized
>> Domain Name?  From what I understand with my limited
>> knowledge, you are trying to associate local characters or
>> names with IP Address, so local people can access any website
>> via those local names.  Correct me, if I am wrong?  Would this
>> be sufficient as well?  A remote bookmark.  About 50% of web
>> users access websites via bookmarking, 20% is a first time
>>...
>
>Hi.  Others have explained why remote bookmarks are not
>sufficient, how they don't support non-web protocols well, and
>how they don't address issues of transcription from other media.
>They also raise the issue that, if I know a site [only] by one
>particular name (because of the bookmark name I use),  but I
>want to tell you about it, we may just not be able to
>communicate, since I won't know the site's real name (URL) and
>you won't be able to access my bookmark file.
>
>That said, it is probably worth noting that, as I understood it
>at least, the original conception for the web was that people
>would almost never need to look at URLs.  Communities might
>reasonably share, and pass each  other references to, not
>bookmarks but annotated web pages with references to relevant
>sites.  And the theory was that this would happen sufficiently
>to keep the pressures off URLs.  A reasonable and interesting
>idea, actually, although, for many reasons, it has never really
>happened.
>
>    john

_____________________________________________________________
Free email, Free website, Free postcard, Meet new firends at Gorgai.com.