Subject: Re: Character equivalence mapping (was: Re: [idn] SLC minutes)

From: Kenneth Whistler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:14:21 -0800 (PST)

Mark said:

> Counterproductive: As I noted earlier, the N / V problem arises hundreds of
> times -- a lowercase greek nu in common fonts (e.g. Arial Unicode MS) is
> visually indistinguishable from a Latin v. That causes N, V, n, v, NU, nu to
> be part of the same equivalence class, so a company could not register
> NIA.com if VIA.com were already registered.

And furthermore, to prevent total havoc for existing registrations, you'd
have to check and prevent any such overlapping equivalence classes while
drafting the list of character equivalences in the first place. This would
*force* one to allow visual confusables like v/nu to be distinct -- creating
unaccountable exceptions to the goal of character equivalence mapping from
the start.

By the way, via.org belongs to the Valencia Industrial Association, and
nia.org to the National Insulator Association.

--Ken

---

From: Kenneth Whistler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:14:21 -0800 (PST)

--Ken