Subject: [idn] WIPO PCT Publication No. WO 01/90955 A2

From: "Jorge Contreras" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:56:10 -0500

Dear Mr. Heinze:

  Thank you for bringing WIPO PCT Publication No. WO 01/90955 A2
entitled "Internationalized Domain Name System with Iterative
Conversion" (the "Publication") to the attention of the IETF idn Working
Group.

  As you know, all contributors to IETF working groups are required to
disclose the existence of any proprietary or intellectual property
rights in their contributions that are reasonably and personally known
to them.  Your identification of the Publication will be noted as such a

disclosure on behalf of your clients .Nu Domain and WorldNames.

  We express no opinion with respect to your assertion that many of the
technologies being discussed on the idn mailing list infringe the claims

of the Publication.  As you know, the IETF is an international standards
organization which does not itself develop, make, use, sell, or import
products or services.  However, if you believe that the products or
services of any entity infringe the claims of the Publication, then you
may wish to contact them separately.

  I believe that no further response to your communication is required.
However, please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to
discuss this matter further.  I have copied the idn list on this message
at the request of my client.

  Sincerely yours,
  Jorge L. Contreras

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:46:24 -0500

"Jorge Contreras" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have copied the idn list on this message at the request of my
> client.

For those that don't know, Jorge is an attorney who provides advice to
the IETF. His response was prompted by a request from the IESG.

Thomas

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:43:28 +0100

for those who don't know - Jorge Contreras is the lawyer who does pro bono 
legal review of various aspects of the IETF process.

BTW, I have also verified that a PCT publication is not a patent - it is a 
way of simplifying the work of multiple national or regional patent 
applications by doing part of the work in one place.

It's nice to know that this info has been public for 8 months.

                 Harald