Subject: [idn] Liason statement from Unicode Consortium

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:04:12 -0400

I have as liason in the IETF with the Unicode Consortium received the
following text.

     Patrik

The Unicode Consortium welcomes the progression of Stringprep and IDNA to
last call. The development of those will have a significant impact on the
majority of the people of the world, for the first time allowing them to
have domain names in their own languages and scripts.

There is only one issue for the consortium has a strong recommendation. The
proposals are currently built on Unicode 3.1, since that was the latest
version available during the initial development of IDNA and Stringprep.
The consortium recommends that the version of Unicode be upgraded to
Unicode 3.2, which was released on 2002-03-27 (For more information, see
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr28/.) This makes the first release of the
standards encompass the broadest set of characters possible. It also means
that a few small fixes in existing characters (between versions 3.1 and
3.2) can be accounted for. This should not delay the progress of the
standards; the changes to the data tables are relatively minor.

If this request cannot be accomodated, then the version should at least be
updated to fix Corrigendum #3
(http://www.unicode.org/versions/enumeratedversions.html#Unicode_3_1_1_With
_Corrigendum). This would address the most pressing concern, although not
expand the character set to the most up-to-date version.

---

From: Rick Wesson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:14:16 -0700 (PDT)

I'd prefer we move Stringprep and IDNA to use Unicode 3.2 now than wait
until the next revision.

-rick