Subject: [idn] Cut and Paste?

From: tedd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:53:37 -0400

Hi:

There has been a lot of discussion about cut and paste operations on 
this list -- to which I'll comment:

There is nothing that this WG can do to solve any cut/paste 
operations that any OS may have. To the contrary, this group should 
not even be concerned about, let alone address, such problems.

To discus what is being pasted, how it's being translated, paste 
buffers, and such is simply beyond the scope and, no offense, the 
competence of this group. Rest assured, considering all the formats 
currently addressed by cut/paste operations, the procedure can 
certainly be adapted to handle any requirements set forth by this 
group.

tedd

-- 
http://sperling.com

---

From: "Adam M. Costello" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 03:39:06 +0000

tedd <[email-masked]> wrote:

> this list

I'd like to add an observation to help put it in perspective.

Cut & paste is often just a shortcut for manual transcription.  A user
might look at some text, and type in the same text.  If the user is
looking at a piece of paper or a billboard, that's the only option.  If
the user happens to be looking at another window on their computer, they
can either re-type, or cut & paste.

If the user manually types a non-ASCII domain name into an application
that understands only ASCII domain names, it's not going to work, and we
accept that.

When cut & paste is used, the clipboard might use a sophisticated
protocol to make things work even when manual re-typing would have
failed, or it might exactly immitate manual re-typing.  Either behavior
is reasonable and unsurprising (though of course the more sophisticated
behavior is more useful).

AMC