Subject: [idn] idnkit-1.0 released

From: Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:52:52 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

Today, JPNIC released idnkit-1.0 which is fully compliant to IDN RFCs.
You can obtain idnkit-1.0 from following URL:

    http://www.nic.ad.jp/ja/idn/idnkit/download/

The idnkit-1.0 is a bsd-like licensed open source free software, and
its major features are:

  - provides IDN <--> Punycode converter named `idnconv'
    It will help system administrators who manage IDN in zone files
    and / or Web configuration files.

  - provides IDNA C programming APIs named `libidnkit' and `libidnkitlite'
    They will help software programmers who are going to develop IDNA
    compliant products.
    The difference between `libidnkit' and `libidnkitlite' is,
    `libidnkit' can handle many charsets and encodings using `iconv'
    while `libidnkitlite' can handle only UTF-8.

For users mDNkit-2.X/idnkit-1.0prX:

  - Supports Unicode 3.2 only.  Unicode 3.0.1 and 3.1 are no longer
    supported.  NFKC table size is significantly reduced.

  - idnkit provides mDNkit compatible APIs if `--enable-mdnkit-compat'
    configure option is specified.

  - idnkit supports RACE in addition to Punycode if `--enable-extra-ace'
    configure option is specified. This is migration purpose only.

  - idn.conf is incompatible with idnkit-1.0prX, so to upgrade from
    idnkit-1.0prX, please do `make install install-config' to
    overwrite previous configuration.

  - Actually, configuration file such as idn.conf is not required.

Regards,

-- 
Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>
           aka <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:58:59 -0800

BTW, the next version of ICU will contain an IDNA implementation. One of our
engineers also put together an on-line demonstration that maps back and
forth, at:

http://oss.software.ibm.com/cgi-bin/icu/idnademo

Mark
(ᛗᚪᚱᚳ)
________
[email-masked]
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799