Subject: [idn] Announcement of IDNConnect, to be held May 28-30

From: Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 11:48:10 -0800

Greetings again. IDNConnect will take place May 28-30, 2003, in the 
San Francisco area. It is the first international, face-to-face event 
for internationalized domain names. The two purposes of the event are 
to help implementers of IDNs in programs, software libraries, and DNS 
servers to test their software against other programs and against 
reference implementations, and to foster a discussion of issues with 
registering IDNs in zones throughout the world.

We have already gotten good response from software implementers and 
registries from around the world, so we expect to fill up well before 
the event. Registration is $195 per person for the three-day event.

Much more information on the event can be found at 
<http://idnconnect.jdna.jp/>.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium

---

From: Bill Manning <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 12:42:13 -0800 (PST)

% Greetings again. IDNConnect will take place May 28-30, 2003, in the 
% San Francisco area. It is the first international, face-to-face event 
% for internationalized domain names. The two purposes of the event are 
% to help implementers of IDNs in programs, software libraries, and DNS 
% servers to test their software against other programs and against 
% reference implementations, and to foster a discussion of issues with 
% registering IDNs in zones throughout the world.
% 
% We have already gotten good response from software implementers and 
% registries from around the world, so we expect to fill up well before 
% the event. Registration is $195 per person for the three-day event.
% 
% Much more information on the event can be found at 
% <http://idnconnect.jdna.jp/>.
% 
% --Paul Hoffman, Director
% --Internet Mail Consortium

	Very cool.  If folks want to work on such things in a persistant
	fashion, they could take advantage of the testbed, visable at
	http://www.rs.net

--bill
Opinions expressed may not even be mine by the time you read them, and
certainly don't reflect those of any other entity (legal or otherwise).

---

From: "Georg Ochsner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:01:11 +0100

Hello everybody,

is it certain now that IDNs will be implementet around the world according
to the new RFCs? Can all IDNs (com/net/org) registered so far be migrated to
xn-punycode? What else will have to be done next? When will the German
registry denic implement IDNs?

Bye,
Georg

---

From: [email-masked] (Martin v. Löwis)
Date: 17 Mar 2003 07:48:15 +0100

"Georg Ochsner" <[email-masked]> writes:

> to the new RFCs? 

Yes.

> Can all IDNs (com/net/org) registered so far be migrated to
> xn-punycode? 

I think so. The IDNs in .nu are already migrated, and the Verisign
pages indicate that Verisign is migrating the testbed registrations in
the near future.

> What else will have to be done next? 

Browsers need to support it, and the resolver libraries that
potentially have the notion of Unicode. I believe the Mozilla CVS
supports it, and Mozilla 1.3 with certain configuration settings.

> When will the German registry denic implement IDNs?

I just asked last week, and they said they will form a working group,
and start a testbed within two-three month :-(

Regards,
Martin