Subject: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-jseng-idn-admin-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:51:46 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Internationalized Domain Names Registration and 
                          Administration Guideline for Chinese, Japanese and 
                          Korean
	Author(s)	: J. Seng et al.
	Filename	: draft-jseng-idn-admin-03.txt
	Pages		: 20
	Date		: 2003-6-17
	
Achieving internationalized access to domain names raises many complex 
issues.  These are associated not only with basic protocol design--such 
as how names are represented on the network, compared, and converted to 
appropriate forms--but also with issues and options for deployment, 
transition, registration, and administration.  

The IETF Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) Working Group focused its 
efforts on the development of a standards-track specification for access 
to domain names in a range of scripts that is broader in scope than the 
original ASCII.  During its efforts, it became clear that the appearance 
of characters with similar appearances and/or interpretations created 
potential for confusion, as well as difficulties in deployment and 
transition, and that those issues could best be addressed 
administratively rather than through restrictions embedded in the 
protocols.  

This document is an effort of the Joint Engineering Team (JET), a group 
composed of members of CNNIC, TWNIC, KRNIC, and JPNIC as well as other 
individual experts.  It offers guidelines for zone administrators -- 
including but not limited to registry operators and registrars -- and 
information for all domain names holders on the administration of domain 
names that contain characters drawn from Chinese, Japanese, and Korean 
scripts.  Other language groups are encouraged to develop their own 
guidelines as needed, based on these guidelines if that is helpful.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jseng-idn-admin-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jseng-idn-admin-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jseng-idn-admin-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.