Subject: revised charter

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:19:18 -0700

Folks,

Attached is the revised charter. The WG chairs as well as the Routing
ADs would greatly appreciate review/comments. If you have any objections
to the charter, then we would appreciate if you would elaborate on
them. In the absence of any objections by 10/2 we would forward the 
charter to the IESG for approval.

Sue & Yakov.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Inter-Domain Routing Working Group is chartered to standardize
and promote the Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGP-4) [RFC
1771] capable of supporting policy based routing for TCP/IP internets.
The objective is to promote the use of BGP-4 to support IP version
4 and IP version 6. The working group will continue to work on
improving the scalability of BGP.

The current tasks of the WG are limited to:

- Revise and clarify the base BGP4 document (RFC 1771). Note that
RFC 1771 no longer documents existing practice and one goal of the
update is document existing practice. Determine whether the document
can be advanced as full Standard or needs to recycle at Proposed
or Draft Standard.

- Submit updated base BGP4 MIB to accompany the revised base BGP4 document.

Once these tasks are finished (means WG consensus, WG Last Call,
AD Review, IETF Last Call, and IESG approval for publication), work 
will progress on the following:

- Review and Evaluate Existing RFCs on AS Confederations and Route
Reflection. If changes are needed, create and advance revisions.

- Review RFC 2385 (Protection of BGP via TCP MD5 signature) to see
if any changes need to be made based on current Internet practice
or based on the changes to the current bgp draft. If changes are
needed, create an revision. Issue the WG Last Call on advancing
the document to Draft Standard.

- Review and evaluate Multiprotocol BGP (RFC 2858) for advancement
as Draft Standard.

- Progress BGP Extended Communities along standards track. 

- Extend BGP to support a 4-byte AS number, develop plan for
transitioning to usage of 4-byte AS numbers. Advance support for a 4-byte
AS numbers along standards track.

- Produce BGP MIB v2 that includes support for AS Confederations, 
Route Reflection, Communities, Multi-Protocol BGP, BGP Extended
Communities, support for 4-byte AS numbers.

- Progress along the IETF standards track a BGP-based mechanism
that allows a BGP speaker to send to its BGP peer a set of route
filters that the peer would use to constrain/filter its outbound
routing updates to the speaker. Currently defined in
draft-ietf-idr-route-filter-03.txt.

- Progress along standards track an Outbound Router Filter (ORF)
type for BGP, that can be used to perform aspath based route
filtering. The ORF-type will support aspath based route filtering
as well as regular expression based matching for address groups.
Currently defined in draft-ietf-idr-aspath-orf-00.txt.

- Progress a BGP Graceful Restart mechanism along standards track.

- Progress Subcodes for BGP Cease Notification Message along standards
track.

- Progress  AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 along standards
track.

- Progress Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 along standards track.

Tasks for this working group are limited to those listed above;
new items to be added to the charter must be approved by the IESG.

Goals and Milestones

DONE    Submit BGP Capability Advertisement to the IESG

NOV 02  Submit BGP4 document to IESG.
DEC 02  Submit updated base BGP4 MIB to IESG.

MAR 03  Submit BGP Graceful Restart to IESG
MAR 03  Submit Extended Communities draft to IESG.
MAR 03  Submit revised text on Multi-Protocol BGP (rfc2858bis) to IESG
MAR 03  Submit BGP MIB v2 to IESG.

MAY 03  Submit 4-byte AS ID to IESG.
MAY 03  BGP TCP MD5 signatures document to IESG.
MAY 03  Outbound Route Filter, Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG.
MAY 03  Subcodes for BGP Cease Notification Message to IESG
MAY 03  AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 to IESG
MAY 03  Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 to IESG