Subject: FSM more words

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:29:45 +0100

In the 26Aug text, I find the timer terminology still confusing.
Timers can, I find, 
stop
start
restart
clear
set
reset
expire

Rich the English language is but I see this as overuse.
For me, timers
start, stop, expire
The only further refinement is that they may start with an initial
value or with the value they had when they were stopped (eg NFL game
clocks); I do not believe, but cannot be sure, that the last is ever
used in the FSM.  Which means all we need is
start with initial value (spell it out just to be sure)
stop
expire
and anything else just confuses - me and I suspect others.

Tom Petch
[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:33:23 -0400

> Rich the English language is but I see this as overuse.

I didn't find the word "reset" in draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-17.tx.

Restarting a time is getting rid of any running timer and starting the
timer from its configured initial value (ie: stop, then start).  That
seems to be entirely consistent with uses of the word restart in other
contexts.

Clear and stop a timer are synonomous.  I can't see how that could not
be obvious.

The word set is used in phrases like "set Hold timer to a large value"
which is not adequately covered by the words start and stop.

> [email-masked]

Just as we can't include a complete TCP tutorial, we can't include
english dictionary entries for every small word used in the document.

I don't see any reason for change.

Curtis