Subject: -17 review, Section 6.2 - must reject hold time

From: "Michael C. Cambria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:16:02 -0400

In Section 6.2 on OPEN message error handling:

    If the Hold Time field of the OPEN message is unacceptable, then the
    Error Subcode MUST be set to Unacceptable Hold Time. An
    implementation MUST reject Hold Time values of one or two seconds.

I feel that text similar to:

"An implementation MUST also reject Hold Time values of zero received 
from a peer in a different AS" should be considered for completeness.

MikeC

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:39:53 -0400

> from a peer in a different AS" should be considered for completeness.

Excepting that people use this to disable hold timers altogether.

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:49:22 -0700

Mike,

> from a peer in a different AS" should be considered for completeness.

From 4.4:

   If the negotiated Hold Time interval is zero, then periodic KEEPALIVE
   messages MUST NOT be sent.  

So, setting Hold Time to zero is perfectly valid (under certain
circumstances).

Yakov.

---

From: "Michael C. Cambria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:55:34 -0400

Jeff / Yakov

Understood.  I thought I read somewhere that it couldn't for external 
peers.  I can't find it, only my note in the margin to post the (now 
wrong) suggestion.  It could be that I mis-read KEEPALIVE "may" be sent 
as MUST and internalized it (since I always use them.)  Sorry.

Thanks,
MikeC