Subject: NOTIFICATION message error handling.

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:55:19 -0400

Please change"
"If a peer sends a NOTIFICATION message, and there is an error in that
   message, there is unfortunately no means of reporting this error via
   a subsequent NOTIFICATION message."

To:
"If a peer receives a NOTIFICATION message, and there is an error in that
   message, there is unfortunately no means of reporting this error via
   a subsequent NOTIFICATION message."

---

From: Ignas Bagdonas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:27:58 +0200 (GMT)

,

[This is section 6.4]

>    a subsequent NOTIFICATION message."

I would tend to disagree - the proposed change reverses the meaning of the
statement. It is remote peer that sends us malformed NOTIFICATION and
cannot be informed about that.

I would suggest the following text instead:

   All errors detected while processing the NOTIFICATION message cannot be
   indicated by sending subsequent NOTIFICATION message back to
   originating peer, therefore there is no means of reporting NOTIFICATION
   message processing errors. Any error, such as an unrecognized
   Error Code or Error Subcode, should be noticed, logged locally, and
   brought to the attention of the administration of the peer that has
   sent the message. The means to do this, however, lies outside the scope
   of this document.

Ignas