Subject: issue 21

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:03:52 -0700

21) Authentication Text Update
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: No Consensus
  Change: Potentially
  Summary: A small change to the "Authentication Data:" section to mention
    well established MD5 support.
  
  Discussion:
  
    P. 10, "Authentication Data:" section you might want to add this,
    It is also possible to use MD5 (RFC2385) at the transport layer to validate
    the entire BGP message.
  
  There was no discussion on this issue.

There is already text that covers this:

  "Any authentication scheme used by TCP (e.g., RFC2385 [RFC2385]) 
   may be used in addition to BGP's own authentication mechanisms."
  
   ....

  "In addition, BGP supports the ability to authenticate its data 
   stream by using [RFC2385]."

So, I see no need to add the text proposed above.

Yakov.

---

From: Kunihiro Ishiguro <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:14:31 -0700

agreed.