Subject: NEXT_HOP to internal peer

From: "Michael C. Cambria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 20:35:57 -0400

Hi,

Does BGP4 allow a local BGP speaker to advertise locally originated 
routes, via iBGP, to other BGP speakers in the AS?

If so, when sending a locally originated route to an internal peer, what 
should NEXT_HOP be set to?  The text below is specific when propergating 
a route that already contains NEXT_HOP, but nothing is said about when 
originating a route:

        1) When sending a message to an internal peer, the BGP speaker
        should not modify the NEXT_HOP attribute, unless it has been
        explicitly configured to announce its own IP address as the
        NEXT_HOP.

Thanks,
MikeC

---

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 10:38:00 -0400

Current implementation uses the next hop that exists for the route in its
originating protocol except if the route gets aggregated or (of course) if
it is advertised to the <next-hop> peer, in which case it is set to self.

For the purpose of documenting current behavior, this should be added as a
"SHOULD".

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael C. Cambria [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 8:36 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: NEXT_HOP to internal peer

Hi,

Thanks,
MikeC