Subject: issue 27

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:44:22 -0700

27) Allow All Non-Destructive Messages to Refresh Hold Timer
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: No Consensus
  Change: Potentially
  Summary: It is agreed that this is a change that exceeds the original
    goal of this draft revision.  This goal is to document existing
    practice in an interoperable way.  If we should do it anyway has not
    been decided.
  
  Discussion:
  
  3. P. 29, Section 6.5, Please rewrite this sentence from:
      "If a system does not receive successive KEEPALIVE and/or UPDATE
          and/or NOTIFICATION messages within the period specified in the Hold
          Time field of the OPEN message ..."
  
   To This:
      "If a system does not receive successive KEEPALIVE and/or UPDATE
          and/or any other BGP message within the period specified in the Hold
          Time field of the OPEN message ..."
  
  There is disagreement on this change. It has been discussed in other
  threads.
  
  The original commentor acknowledged that this is something that would
  be "adding a new feature" as opposed to the stated goal of "documenting
  what exists."  He suggested that the ADs decide if we should open the
  door for new features or not.

Folks, I would suggest we keep the text as is, as the purpose of the
document is to specify what is implemented. 

Yakov.