Subject: issues 13, 14, 61

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:15:40 -0700

Folks,

I think that issue 13, 14 and 61 essentially cover the same topic,
namely when a BGP speaker originates a route, what should be the value
of the NEXT_HOP carried by the route. Comments on this issue (including
proposed text, if needed) would be appreciated.

Yakov.

  13) Next Hop for Originated Route
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: Consensus
  Change: No
  Summary: No reponses, assumed consensus to keep things the same.
  
  Discussion:
  
  There was a one-message thread entitled "next hop for originated route".
  This message received no reponse, so the assumption is that there is
  a consensus to keep things as they are.
  
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  14) NEXT_HOP to Internal Peer
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: No Consensus
  Change: Potentially
  Summary: One concuring reponse, no text proposed.
  
  Discussion:
  
  The thread entitled "NEXT_HOP to internal peer" starts with this question:
  
  When sending a locally originated route to an internal peer, what should
  NEXT_HOP be set to?
  
  One response suggested that we add a line stating that the NEXT_HOP address
  originates from the IGP.
  
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  61) Next Hop for Redistributed Routes
  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: No Consensus
  Change: Potentially
  Summary: There was text suggested, but no discussion.
  
  Discussion:
  
  Jonathan began this thread with:
  
  I propose adding:
       
  "When announcing a locally originated route to an internal peer, the BGP
  speaker should use as the NEXT_HOP the interface address of the router
  through which the announced network is reachable for the speaker; if the
  route is directly connected to the speaker, or the interface address of the
  router through which the announced network is reachable for the speaker is
  the internal peer's address, then the BGP speaker should use for the
  NEXT_HOP attribute its own IP address (the address of the interface that is
  used to reach the peer)."
       
  AFTER
  
  "When sending a message to an internal peer, the BGP speaker
        should not modify the NEXT_HOP attribute, unless it has been
        explicitly configured to announce its own IP address as the
        NEXT_HOP."
  
  There has been no discussion on this.
  
  This is discussed in the "Next hop for redistributed routes" thread.

---

From: "Michael C. Cambria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:33:49 -0400

> I think that issue 13, 14 and 61 essentially cover the same topic,

I brough up item 14

Section 5.1.3 explictly states what to do when originating to an 
etternal peer.  #2 covers one hop away, #3 covers more than on hop away. 
  #1 talks about sending to an iBGP peer, but only when propergating a 
route received from an eBGP peer.

       1) When sending a message to an internal peer, the BGP speaker
       should not modify the NEXT_HOP attribute, unless it has been
       explicitly configured to announce its own IP address as the
       NEXT_HOP.

Text similar to #2 shoud be added, in their own bullit items to #1 such 

 >      explicitly configured to announce its own IP address as the

MikeC