Subject: Review Comments: Section 4.3: Description of AS_PATH length

From: "Michael C. Cambria" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 17:27:09 -0400

From a first time reader point of view ...

Length fields elsewhere in the draft specify the number of bytes that a 
variable length field uses.  For AS_PATH, length is used as the number 
of 2 byte AS numbers.  In the interest of not having to check other 
sources to be sure, should the descripton of path segment value:

"The path segment value field contains one or more AS numbers, each 
encoded as a 2-octets long field."

explicitly mention the number of bytes used by the variable length field?

Or, make the description of length explicitly mention that it is not the 
length of the variable length field as is the case with other length fields?

MikeC

---

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:04:46 -0400

I think an ASCII art example diagram would be good here (the old sniffer
decoded it incorrectly, so IT HAS confused people).

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael C. Cambria [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 5:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Review Comments: Section 4.3: Description of AS_PATH length

MikeC