Subject: issue 19

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:52:33 -0700

19) Appendix Section 6.2: Processing Messages on a Stream Protocol   
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Status: No Consensus
  Change: Potentially
  Summary: This is a hotly debated issue.  The choices are outlined in
    the discussion.  We can: 1) Leave things the way they are 2)
    Take Curtis's suggestion for change 3) Remove the section entirely.
  
  Discussion:
  
  This first came up in reponse to Issue 17:
  
  There was one comment suggesting that section 6.2 (Processing Messages
  on a Stream Protocol" mentioned this.
  
  The original reviewer reponsed that the out-of-scope comment was out-of-place
  and refered the reponder to section 6.2 (appendix 6)
  
  The original reviewer stated that he is happy with just adding a
  reference to section 6.2 in appendix 6 and leaving it at that.
  
  Curtis suggested we just add a reference to Stevens in appendix 6. 6.2
  and be done with it.  Specifically:
  
    6.2  Processing Messages on a Stream Protocol
  
       BGP uses TCP as a transport mechanism.  If you are unsure as to
       how to handle asynchronous reads and writes on TCP sockets please
       refer to Unix Network Programming [RWStevens] or other
       introductory text for programming techniques for the operating
       system and TCP implementation that you are using.
  
  There were further suggestions to remove the section entirely as out-of-scope.
  At least 3 people agreed with this.
  
  Alex responded that he sees no reason to remove it, but wouldn't have a
  problem if the WG decides to do so.

Since there was no objections to removing Appendix 6.2, I would suggest
we change the status to "Consensus" and indicate that Appendix 6.2
will be removed in the -18 version.

Yakov.