Subject: RE: issue 21

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:29:32 -0400

Yes, you are wrong.  Of course there could be a special build that does it.

I still think the bgp auth. option should be depreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kunihiro Ishiguro [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 12:29 PM
To: Natale, Jonathan
Cc: 'Yakov Rekhter'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: issue 21

>Issue 21's main point is mentioning MD5 authentication along with BGP
>own password auth.  I agree with it and current text is enough for the
>purpose.  I know people actually uses BGP own auth (just a few though)
>so I hesitate to say that deprecating BGP own auth.

I may be wrong.  I was told that Cisco does Open Message parameter's
optional simple password auth by 'neighbor password 7 LINE' but it
does not.  Jeff, how about GateD?

My opinion about this issue is keep current text then investigate
current best practice.
-- 
Kunihiro Ishiguro

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:37:09 -0700

Jonathan,

> I still think the bgp auth. option should be depreciated.

Please note that the subject of the discussion is issue 21. This issue
has *nothing to do* with deprecating the bgp auth option - it has
to do with adding a sentence pointing that one could use rfc2385.

Yakov.