Subject: RE: Review: Comments: Section 4.3: UPDATE min length

From: "Natale, Jonathan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:56:31 -0400

Right.

" The minimum length of the UPDATE message is 23 octets -- 19 octets
   for the fixed header + 2 octets for the Withdrawn Routes Length + 2
   octets for the Total Path Attribute Length (the value of Withdrawn
   Routes Length is 0 and the value of Total Path Attribute Length is
   0)."

Should be moved up to just after

"... the Total Path Attribute Length field and the
         Withdrawn Routes Length field."

And

" the value of Withdrawn
   Routes Length is 0 and the value of Total Path Attribute Length is
   0)."

Should be changed to 

" the min. value of Withdrawn
   Routes Length is 0 and the min. value of Total Path Attribute Length is
   0)."

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael C. Cambria [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 1:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Review: Comments: Section 4.3: UPDATE min length

The text about the mimimum length, at first look, gives the impression 
that it is still part of the NLRI field description and/or the Path 
Attributes section.  A new "subsection" or heading of some sort would be 
helpfull in switching context back to the UPDATE message as a whole and 
not the path attributes field anymore.

MikeC

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:36:12 -0700

Jonathan,

>          Withdrawn Routes Length field."

Disagree, as "... the Total Path Attribute Length field and the
Withdrawn Routes Length field." explains how to calculate the length
of NLRI field (and therefore is part of the NLRI field description),
while "The minimum length of the UPDATE message is 23 octets...."
has to do with the length of the UPDATE message.

>    Routes Length is 0 and the min. value of Total Path Attribute Length is

Disagree, as the text doesn't talk about what is the minimum value
of the Withdrawn Routes Length and Total Path Attribute Length
fields, but talks about the value of these fields in the case of
a min length UPDATE message.

Yakov.