Subject: FSM ConnectRetryCnt

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 18:30:18 +0100

This seems to have lost its purpose (which it had in BGP-17).  It gets
cleared on manual stop, incremented by one when something goes wrong
but so what?  An explanation would help.

And I think it should be a Session Attribute required for each
connection, along with
OpenDelayTimer
DelayOpenFlag

Tom Petch
[email-masked]

---

From: Curtis Villamizar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:46:32 -0400

> but so what?  An explanation would help.

Its something read by the MIB.

> [email-masked]

We are not here to make arbitrary changes to the protocol just for
personal preferences.  This is a protocol that has been deployed very
successfully for nearly a decade and enjoys extremely widespread use.

The IETF document that describes this protocol was a little
inaccurate, did not reflect current implementations in ways that would
impact interoperability (if implemented exactly as specified) and was
reknown for being difficult to read.  AFAIK these deficiencies in *the
document* are all we are fixing unless there is a very pressing need
to make changes to the protocol.

An example of a pressing need would be the specification of MED
handling leaves open the possiblity for a routing loop but a commonly
implemented change in MED usage fixes the problem.  [already fixed in
bgp-17].

Not to pick on you in particular but things like "I think it would be
nice if the following were included in the open" and "I'd like to
change the semantics of something for no good reason except it looks
cleaner to me" are definitely not going to get considered.  [So please
stop wasting our time - this means you too, Ben - please :-) ].

Curtis

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:57:33 -0700

Curtis,

> stop wasting our time - this means you too, Ben - please :-) ].

Just one (minor) addition - even if one has "good reason", we can't change 
the semantics if such change contradicts what is widely deployed today.

Yakov.