Subject: [Idr] Re: weights in BGP

From: "john smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:39:29 +0000

to clarify a bit:

AS1 makes a route map to prefer via weights  anything from AS2
AS3 makes a route map to prefer via weights  anything from AS1
AS2 weights  anything from AS3

AS4 comes up now/flaps up after a reboot.

Will this converge?
-JS

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Nader Salehi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:34:15 -0700

John,

Weight is a Cisco-defined attribute and is local to the router.  It is
not part of the spec.  and Only Cisco routers support this feature.
For more info, look at
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ito_doc/bgp.htm#1020576.

In your example, convergence will occur.  You are trying to create a
loop among AS1, AS2, and AS3.  The router which originates a route
eventually detects the loop condition by finding its own AS in the AS
PATH attribute of an incoming UPDATE message, and drops the UPDATE.

Nader

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:59:47 -0400

> not part of the spec.  and Only Cisco routers support this feature.

Other implementations have an analogous feature. :-)

-- 
Jeff Haas 
NextHop Technologies

---

From: Nader Salehi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:28:45 -0700

> Other implementations have an analogous feature. :-)

True, but as far as I know, Cisco is the only one which uses the term
"Weight".  Obviously, we don't claim a monopoly on proprietary
features :)

Nader