Subject: [Idr] ADJ RIB IN queries

From: "john smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 10:52:49 +0000

Hi folks,

Would appreciate if someone could clarify,

Incase the ADJ RIB IN is locked, and an update message arrives, is it

a. stored in a message queue for sequential processing?
or
b. allowed to modify the RIB? (does not seem to make sense)
or
c. is there a way to notify adjacent peers that the RIB is locked hence 
updates should not be sent till a status change is sent to peers.

In other words, there has to be one more abstraction/queue prior to the 
ADJ_RIB_IN, if my understanding is correct?

And incase it is a, can withdraws and implicit withdraws be applied to the 
queue in a, rather than at the ADJ_RIB_IN if such a situation arises, 
(though the whole queue would be processed at once but just an 
optimization)?

Another clarification I would like to seek,
is it adj_RIB*s*_IN or adj_RIB_IN?

-thanks

_________________________________________________________________
STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Michael Dell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:35:13 +0100

John

I would have said that how a stack deals with receiving an update whilst the
Adj-RIB-In(ARI) is locked is an implementation issue.  Received updates that
the stack is not yet able to process as it is already processing an update
(which is when the ARI would be locked) would probably be buffered by the
sockets layer, and this can apply back-pressure if your BGP implementation
is not reading the data fast enough - but that's just 1 approach.

There is no defined method within the BGP protocol to request that a peer
hold off advertising updates to you.  

Adj-RIBs-In would be the plural of Adj-RIB-In.

Regards

Mike Dell

-----Original Message-----
From: john smith [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 27 September 2004 11:53
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Idr] ADJ RIB IN queries

Hi folks,

-thanks