Subject: [Idr] WG Last Call on IANA Considerations for 2858bis

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:06:34 -0700

Folks,

This is to start the WG Last Call on the proposal from Bill Fenner
to modify the IANA Consideration section of 2858bis along the
following lines:

  - Keep 1-63 as "IETF Consensus/Early Allocation" and 64-127 as "FCFS"
  - Register 128 as "IETF Consensus"
  - Reclassify 129-239 as "Reserved".
  - Retain 240-255 as "private use".
  - As needed, register values in the Reserved range if previously-deployed
    protocols come into the IETF.
  - Recommend that new developments use FCFS or RFC4020 method to get
    code points
  - In the future, if we run out of FCFS or IETF Consensus numbers,
    start using the "Reserved" space as needed.

The modified IANA Consideration section will look as follows:

   As specified in this document, the MP_REACH_NLRI and MP_UNREACH_NLRI
   attributes contain the Subsequence Address Family Identifier (SAFI)
   field. The SAFI name space is defined in this document. The IANA will
   maintain and register values for the SAFI namespace as follows. 
   
   SAFI values 1 and 2 are assigned in this document.  SAFI values
   4 through 63, 65, and 128 are to be assigned by IANA using either
   the "IETF Consensus" policy defined in RFC2434 or the "Early
   IANA Allocation" policy defined in RFC4020. SAFI values 64 and
   66 through 127 are to be assigned by IANA, using the "First  Come
   First Served" policy defined in RFC2434. SAFI values 240 through
   255 are for "private use", and are not to be assigned by IANA.
   SAFI values 0, 3, and 129 through 239 are reserved.

The deadline for comments is Aug 22, 2005.

Yakov.

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr