Subject: RE: [idr] BGP planned maintenance requirements as an IDR WG doc

From: "DECRAENE Bruno RD-CORE-ISS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:12:35 +0200

Hi John,

> Hi,
> 
> I think if *we know* that a bomb is going to fall on our town 
> at X'oclock, we warn everyone to leave town beforehand.... 
> and not wait till the last minute and send out a message?

That's exactly our point.
We know the forwarding will be shutdown. Why wait the last second to
send a BGP CEASE? Why not inform all your BGP peers a few
seconds/minutes before? In a way that would allow minimal packet loss
during BGP convergence.

> So generally most operators simply send out an "email" to the 
> peering NOCs.
> Practical..no?

Warning the peer is one thing. Shuting down the session with minimal
pack loss is still desirable.

In some situation, we don't care about loosing some trafic or both NOC
we'll write some route map/policy to gracefully reroute the packets (or
believe so).

In some other situation, customers do cares about their SLA, and
modifying the route map each time is too error prone and time/money
consuming.

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: "john smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:58:20 +0000

....Well but if they are heavy traffic bearing links it would be better to 
inform your peers a few hours in advance so that he can rewrite his 
policies.. it is also his $$ after all :-)

>From: "DECRAENE Bruno RD-CORE-ISS" <[email-masked]>
>To: "john smith" <[email-masked]>,<[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: [idr] BGP planned maintenance requirements as an IDR WG doc
>Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:12:35 +0200
>
>Hi John,
>
> > Hi,
> >

_________________________________________________________________
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's FREE! 
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/