Subject: RE: [Idr] AS hopcount draft (redux)

From: "Loa, Kanchei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:18:25 -0800

>> The 2 hop case certainly seems something that it'd be useful to 
>> specify
>> formally (beyond any AS-specific 'action' communities offered by some
ASes 
>> today).
>
> But is that useful enough to fulfill the intended policy?  Someone's 
> policy could be for example, "I want to only get regional or national 
> traffic via this advertisement".  This mechanism does not fulfill 
> that goal, as the site who sends the community has to (AFAICS) both:
>
>   1) know the network topology to the depth of $HOPCOUNT AS numbers,
and
>   2) know which ones implement AS-hopcount
> 
> These are very demanding constraints and I doubt it offers a very 
> useful tool for affecting intended (more fine-grained) policy.

These demanding constraints are basic operation requirements in the US
defense internet. The AS hopcount will be a useful to control routing
policy in such a tightly regulated environment. I guess we are qualified
as large ISPs even though completely isolated from the commercial one.
The draft should be adopted as an IDR WG document as it provides a 
useful tool to control the routing policy.

Kanchei
---------------------------------------------
Kanchei Loa
The Boeing Company

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 08:20:39 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Loa, Kanchei wrote:
> policy in such a tightly regulated environment.

I'd expect tightly regulated environments have a much higher security 
requirements, and I doubt dependence on interpretation of a new 
attribute is sufficient.  If I were participating in such an 
environment, I'd be setting up very tight prefix-list and/or AS-path 
filters at the edges.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings