Subject: RE: [Idr] AS hopcount draft (redux)

From: "Loa, Kanchei" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:55:53 -0800

>> These demanding constraints are basic operation requirements in the
US 
>> defense internet. The AS hopcount will be a useful to control routing

>> policy in such a tightly regulated environment.
>
> I'd expect tightly regulated environments have a much higher security 
> requirements, and I doubt dependence on interpretation of a new 
> attribute is sufficient.  If I were participating in such an 
> environment, I'd be setting up very tight prefix-list and/or AS-path 
> filters at the edges.

You are right that it is not sufficient for routing security, which is a
completely different beast in such environment. This draft simply
provide extra BGP tool to control the fine-grained prefix propagation
and reduce the size of global routing table without the need to
configure prefix filtering at every possible choke points and
re-configure them again whenever there is a new prefix added.

Kanchei
---------------------------------------------
Kanchei Loa
The Boeing Company

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr