Subject: [Idr] Re: BGP in an IPv6-only environment

From: "Walt Lazear" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:12:44 -0400

Thanks to those who pointed out the documents I had missed, that defined
BGP Identifier as something other than an IPv4 address and enlarged the
AS number space.  While it was disappointing not to have an algorithm to
help derive the BGP ID (like using parts of a MAC address or an IPv6
address), the definition is at least protocol independent and can be
manually configured.  Sorry I had missed the document and discussion,
but I recently joined the mailing list.

In my note, I was referring not to a transitioning network (for which I
heartily agree that dual stack is the right transition mechanism), but
to someone who wanted to build an IPv6-only network from scratch.  This
could be done in a detached testbed or network, with no connectivity to
the public Internet.  The new documents help make that possible.

Thanks again.

Walt

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr