Subject: [Idr] Draft on "Tunneled Inter-domain Routing"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:31:39 +0100

Hi,

I sent a draft in October on "Tunneled Inter-domain Routing" (TIDR):
draft-adan-idr-tidr-00.txt.

TIDR is a proposal to modify the way in which traffic is routed to
"stub networks". The meaning of "stub network" is not the same for
inter-domain routing than for intra-domain routing.

For BGP a "stub network" is simply a leaf autonomous system, whether
it be single- or multi-homed. ISPs would add a new transitive BGP
attribute called LOCATOR to a client prefix so as to specify how other
autonomous systems can send tunneled traffic for that client prefix.
The tunnel type is left open in TIDR (we can use several types), but
the best way to understand TIDR is to think on multipoint GRE tunnels.

This LOCATOR attribute will eventually allow us to move client prefixes
from the global RIB to a new table called "Tunnel Information Base" (TIB).
And this move provides many benefits, e.g. client prefixes instabilities
will affect only the TIB, not the RIB.

ISP prefixes used for TIDR tunnels endpoints will be stored in the RIB
and they will act as true locators for the client prefixes. And client
prefixes will be stored in the TIB and will be used as identifiers.

When routing a packet to a leaf AS, the TIB will be search to perform
locator imposition, and the RIB will be used for actual routing. The
ISP that added the LOCATOR attribute will de-tunnel the traffic before
delivering it to its cliet.

This is the abstract:

   In this paper we propose a new hierarchical method to enhance
   the current routing and forwarding paradigm for the Internet
   called Tunneled Inter-Domain Routing (TIDR). We will present the
   way in which TIDR permits to establish tunnels to the edge of
   the network, and how they will be used to forward traffic to
   stub networks. These tunnels will be explicitly signaled by
   using a new transitive BGP attribute called LOCATOR. This new
   routing and forwarding paradigm provides, among others, the
   following benefits: global routing table reduction, inter-domain
   routing infrastructure protection, improved multi-homing of edge
   networks, numerous forwarding decisions for a particular address
   prefix, it stops the AS number consumption, and it can be
   smoothly deployed.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Juanjo

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr