Subject: [Idr] Draft on the textual representation of AS Numbers

From: George Michaelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:51:39 +1000

The issue of the appropriate format for the textual representation of  
32-bit AS numbers appears to a matter of continuing comment, and there  
have been some calls for the IETF to adopt a standard representation  
for 32-bit AS numbers in the same way that RFC4291 defines a standard  
textual representation of IPv6 addresses. The appropriate WG for this  
work appears to be the IDR working group, and I would like to request  
that the WG considers draft-michaelson-as-representation-00.txt for  
adoption as a Working Group draft.

regards

   George Michaelson
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Kris Foster <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:21:00 -0400

I have read and support this draft as a WG item.

The asdot/asdot+ formats will become a burden from the point of view  
of a network operator (specifically manipulation as subsets of strings).

--kris

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Geoff Huston
> Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:47 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: George Michaelson
> Subject: [Idr] Draft on the textual representation of AS Numbers
>
> that the WG considers draft-huston-as-representation-00.txt for
> regards,
>   Geoff Huston

---

From: Richard A Steenbergen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:48:48 -0500

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 04:46:30PM +1000, Geoff Huston wrote:
> have been some calls for the IETF to adopt a standard representation for 
> 32-bit AS numbers in the same way that RFC4291 defines a standard 
> that the WG considers draft-huston-as-representation-00.txt for adoption 
> as a Working Group draft. 

Having read this draft, I wholeheartedly support its adoption as a WG 
item, and the use of the asplain format as the standard representation.

The practical complications of using the asdot/asdot+ format in as-path 
regexp matching, SNMP, and the OSS systems of network operators vastly 
outweigh any potential benefits.

-- 
Richard A Steenbergen <[email-masked]>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
GPG Key ID: 0xF8B12CBC (7535 7F59 8204 ED1F CC1C 53AF 4C41 5ECA F8B1 2CBC)
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr