Subject: [Idr] WG Last Call on Proposed IANA procedures for allocating BGP communities

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:14:47 -0700

Dave,

The WG Last Call on Proposed IANA procedures for allocation of BGP communities
is completed.

The outcome of the Last Call is the following.

Here is the current definition of the space:
   
   0x0000000-0x0000FFFF     Reserved
   0xFFFFFF01               NO_EXPORT  [RFC1997]
   0xFFFFFF02               NO_ADVERTISE [RFC1997]
   0xFFFFFF03               NO_EXPORT_SUBCONFED [RFC1997]
   0xFFFFFF04               NOPEER  [RFC3765]
   0xFFFF0000-0xFFFFFFFF    Reserved
   
Redefine 0xFFFF0000-0xFFFFFFFF space as follows:
   
   Range                    Registration Procedures                  
   -----------            ---------------------------------------   
   0xFFFF0000-0xFFFF8000   First Come First Served
   0xFFFF8001-0xFFFFFFF    Standards Action/Early IANA Allocation

Yakov.
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Brian Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:12:57 -0400

>    Range                    Registration Procedures                  

I hope the following is not too early, given the success of the above WG 
action...

However, I feel that the issues raised in Dublin (regarding my draft) 
may have been mostly made moot by this, and by modifying the wording to 
remove the term "well-known" from the draft (except in the informative 
sense).

I would ask that if folks have time, to please review the new version of 
the draft.

Comments are welcome, and I would like to also ask that (presuming 
support is received) the draft be adopted as a WG item.

Thanks,

Brian Dickson

A new version of I-D, draft-dickson-idr-last-resort-05.txt has been 
successfuly submitted by Brian Dickson and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-dickson-idr-last-resort
Revision:        05
Title:           A New BGP Standards Action Community, LAST_RESORT
Creation_date:   2008-08-21
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 8

Abstract:
This Internet Draft describes a new Standards Action BGP community,
LAST_RESORT.

This community provides a simple and easily deployable solution to a
certain class of BGP "wedgies".

Initial deployment is expected to be achieved by voluntary use in the
network operator community-at-large.
Long-term adoption via software enforcement of the community, will
improve global behavior, and simplify router configurations.

The Standards Action range of communities (previously limited to the
"well-known" communities) ensures that the expectation of (eventual)
router support is reasonable.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dickson-idr-last-resort-05.txt
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr