Subject: [Idr] Draft on a proposal for an IANA reservation AS Numbers for documentation purposes

From: Geoff Huston <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:49:58 +1000

There have been calls of late to reserve a block of AS numbers for  
documentation purposes. This topic was raised as part of a policy  
proposal in the APNIC region. (echoing a similar call for an Ipv6  
documentation prefix some years ago that was subsequently undertaken  
as an IANA action as part of the IETF publishing RFC 3849).

It appears appropriate to me that any such reservation of AS Numbers  
for documentation purposes be undertaken as an IANA reservation in the  
AS Number Registry. For this to be undertaken I understand that there  
needs to be a published RFC with an IANA Considerations section that  
details the proposed IANA action. I have drafted a document that calls  
for such a AS reservation in the AS Number Registry: draft-huston-as- 
documentation-reservation-00.txt. I would like to request that the IDR  
WG consider this draft for adoption as a WG document.

Regards

Geoff Huston

_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:04:54 +0200

Geoff,

> WG consider this draft for adoption as a WG document.

I support this idea.  I'd ask for a block well outside the currently
used ranges though, to make it easier to recognize the numbers as
special.

Also, while we're on this topic, shouldn't we also ask the IANA for a
block in the ASN32 range that can be used as private ASN?

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is one of the choices leaving the office open?
                                       Alan Greenspan on the next elections
_______________________________________________
Idr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr

---

From: Yakov Rekhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 11:54:01 -0700

Geoff,

> WG consider this draft for adoption as a WG document.

Your draft has been accepted as an IDR WG document. Please
re-submit it as draft-ietf-idr- 

Yakov.