Subject: [Idr] WG Action: RECHARTER: Inter-Domain Routing (idr)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:19:36 -0800 (PST)

The charter of the Inter-Domain Routing (idr) working group in the Routing
Area of the IETF has been updated.  For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Inter-Domain Routing (idr)
-------------------------------------------------- 
Last Modified: 2009-02-12
 
Current Status: Active Working Group
 
Chairs:
Susan Hares [[email-masked]] 
Yakov Rekhter [[email-masked]] 
 
Routing Area Director(s): 
Ross Callon [[email-masked]] 
David Ward [[email-masked]] 
 
Routing Area Advisor: 
David Ward [[email-masked]] 
 
Technical Advisor(s): 
Randall Atkinson [[email-masked]] 
Sharon Chisholm [[email-masked]] 
 
Mailing Lists: 
General Discussion: [email-masked] 
To Subscribe: [email-masked] 
In Body: subscribe idr-post 
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/index.html 
 
Description of Working Group: 
 
The Inter-Domain Routing Working Group is chartered to standardize 
and promote the Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGP-4) [RFC 
1771] capable of supporting policy based routing for TCP/IP 
internets. 
 
The objective is to promote the use of BGP-4 to support IP version 
4 and IP version 6. The working group will continue to work on 
improving the scalability of BGP. 
 
The current tasks of the WG are limited to: 
 
- Revise and clarify the base BGP4 document (RFC 1771). Note that 
RFC 1771 no longer documents existing practice and one goal of the 
update is document existing practice. Determine whether the document 
can be advanced as full Standard or needs to recycle at Proposed 
or Draft Standard. 
 
- Submit updated base BGP4 MIB to accompany the revised base BGP4 
document. 
 
Once these tasks are finished (means WG consensus, WG Last Call, 
AD Review, IETF Last Call, and IESG approval for publication), work 
will progress on the following: 
 
- Review and Evaluate Existing RFCs on AS Confederations and Route 
Reflection. If changes are needed, create and advance revisions. 
 
- Review and evaluate Multiprotocol BGP (RFC 2858) for advancement 
as Draft Standard. 
 
- Progress BGP Extended Communities along standards track. 
 
- Extend BGP to support a 4-byte AS number, develop plan for 
transitioning to usage of 4-byte AS numbers. Advance support for a 
4-byte AS numbers along standards track. 
 
- Produce BGP MIB v2 that includes support for AS Confederations, 
Route Reflection, Communities, Multi-Protocol BGP, BGP Extended 
Communities, support for 4-byte AS numbers. 
 
- Progress along the IETF standards track a BGP-based mechanism 
that allows a BGP speaker to send to its BGP peer a set of route 
filters that the peer would use to constrain/filter its outbound 
routing updates to the speaker. Currently defined in 
draft-ietf-idr-route-filter-03.txt. 
 
- Progress along standards track an Outbound Router Filter (ORF) 
type for BGP, that can be used to perform aspath based route 
filtering. The ORF-type will support aspath based route filtering 
as well as regular expression based matching for address groups. 
Currently defined in draft-ietf-idr-aspath-orf-00.txt. 
 
- Progress a BGP Graceful Restart mechanism along standards track. 
 
- Progress Subcodes for BGP Cease Notification Message along 
standards track. 
 
- Progress AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 along standards 
track. 
 
- Progress Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 along standards track.
 
- Progress Flow Specification rules along standards track.
 
Tasks for this working group are limited to those listed above; 
new items to be added to the charter must be approved by the IESG. 
 
Goals and Milestones: 
Done Submit to BGP Capability Advertisement to the IESG 
Done Submit BGP Security Vulnerabilities Analysis to IESG as an
Informational 
Done Submit BGP4 MIB to IESG as a Proposed Standard 
Done Submit BGP4 document to IESG as a Draft Standard 
Done Submit Extended Communities draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard 
Done Submit BGP Graceful Restart to IESG as a Proposed Standard 
Done Submit revised text on Multi-Protocol BGP (rfc2858bis) to IESG as a
Draft Standard 
Done Submit Subcodes for BGP Cease Notification Message to IESG as a
Proposed Standard 
Done Submit 4-byte AS ID to IESG as a Proposed Standard 
Done Submit Outbound Route Filter, Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as
a Proposed Standard 
Mar 2008 Submit AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 to IESG as a
Proposed Standard 
Mar 2008 Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard 
Mar 2008 Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard 
Mar 2008 Submit Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 to IESG as a Proposed
Standard

---

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:27:36 -0500

Yakov and Sue,

I would propose a modification to the IDR charter with respect to the
BGP MIBv2 work item.

> Communities, support for 4-byte AS numbers. 

Per the IDR and OPS general session discussions at IETF-73, I believe
this item needs to be modified:

- Produce a BGP MIB v2 that includes support for AS Confederations,
  Multi-Protocol BGP and suppport for 4-byte AS numbers.

Data structures for communities and extended communities, route
reflection have proven problematic to represent in SMIv2 in an
operationally useful fashion.  The stance of the OPS group with respect
to these less than useful opaque OCTET STRING representations has
changed and it is no longer recommended that we try to fit these within
a MIB.

(That said, if we decide that such a representation is worthwhile, an
extension MIB can be crafted in the future.  I have ceased working on a
draft that roughly covered such a representation for BGP communities.)

I believe that the currently published BGP MIBv2 internet-drafts
completes the work in the suggested update above.

-- Jeff