Subject: [Idr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:15:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Error Handling for Optional Transitive BGP Attributes
	Author(s)       : J. Scudder, E. Chen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2009-04-16

According to the base BGP specification, a BGP speaker that receives
an UPDATE message containing a malformed attribute is required to
reset the session over which the offending attribute was received.
This behavior is undesirable in the case of optional transitive
attributes.  This document revises BGP's error-handling rules for
optional transitive attributes, and provides guidelines for the
authors of documents defining new optional transitive attributes.  It
also revises the error handling procedures for several existing
optional transitive attributes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-optional-transitive-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "John G. Scudder" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:11:43 -0400

FYI the changes in this version other than the name change are to  
incorporate the various editorial suggestions we've received and to  
remove the checks for zero AS number/BGP identifier in the AGGREGATOR  
attribute (section 4.1).  The reason for the latter is that in short,  
the check was overzealous:

- RFC 4271 doesn't mandate this check.  Thus we can't expect current  
implementations to do it.
- AGGREGATOR is widely (probably universally) supported so we never  
expect PARTIAL to be set.
- Thus, if the check is mandated, if someone does inject an update  
with an AGGREGATOR with zero ASN or BGP ID, it would traverse "old"  
routers just fine, but would cause a session reset when it hits a  
"new" router (i.e. one supporting the draft).  This is exactly the  
opposite of what we are trying to achieve!

Hence, check removed.

Regards,

--John

On Apr 17, 2009, at 10:15 AM, <[email-masked]> <[email-masked] 
 > wrote:

> <mime-attachment>_______________________________________________
> Idr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/idr