Subject: [Idr] I-D Action:draft-ietf-idr-aigp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 09:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : The Accumulated IGP Metric Attribute for BGP
	Author(s)       : R. Fernando, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-aigp-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2009-10-07

Routing protocols that have been designed to run within a single
administrative domain ("IGPs") generally do so by assigning a metric
to each link, and then choosing as the installed path between two
nodes the path for which the total distance (sum of the metric of
each link along the path) is minimized.  BGP, designed to provide
routing over a large number of independent administrative domains
("autonomous systems"), does not make its path selection decisions
through the use of a metric.  It is generally recognized that any
attempt to do so would incur significant scalability problems, as
well as inter-administration coordination problems.  However, there
are deployments in which a single administration runs several
contiguous BGP networks.  In such cases, it can be desirable, within
that single administrative domain, for BGP to select paths based on a
metric, just as an IGP would do.  The purpose of this document is to
provide a specification for doing so.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-idr-aigp-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.