Subject: [Idr] WG Review: Recharter of Inter-Domain Routing (idr)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 11:00:02 -0800 (PST)

A modified charter has been submitted for the Inter-Domain Routing (idr)
working group in the Routing Area of the IETF.  The IESG has not made any
determination as yet.  The modified charter is provided below for
informational purposes only.  Please send your comments to the IESG
mailing list ([email-masked]) by Tuesday, February 16, 2010.

Inter-Domain Routing (idr)
-----------------------------
Last Modified: 2010-02-04

Additional information is available at tools.ietf.org/wg/idr

Chair(s):
- Susan Hares <[email-masked]>
- John Scudder <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director(s):
- Ross Callon <[email-masked]>
- Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
- Ross Callon <[email-masked]>

Mailing Lists:
General Discussion: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: [email-masked]
In Body: subscribe idr-post
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/idr/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The Inter-Domain Routing Working Group is chartered to standardize,
develop, and support the Border Gateway Protocol Version 4 (BGP-4)
[RFC 4271] capable of supporting policy based routing for TCP/IP
internets.

The main objective of the working group is to support the use of
BGP-4 by IP version 4 and IP version 6 networks. The working group
will also continue to work on improving the robustness and
scalability of BGP.

IDR will review extensions made to BGP in other working groups at least
at WG document adoption and during working group last calls. The IDR
working group will also provide advice and guidance on BGP to other
working groups as requested.

Work Items:

The IDR working group will work on correctness, robustness and
scalability of the BGP protocol, as well as clarity and accuracy of the
BGP document set. The group will also work on extensions beyond these
areas when specifically added to the charter. The current additional
work items are:

- Relax the definition of BGP identifiers to only require AS-wide
uniqueness. This change must be made in a backward compatible way.

- Specify a means to non-disruptively introduce new BGP Capabilities
to an existing BGP session.

- Upgrade of the base BGP specification to Full Standard

- Define AS_PATH based Outbound Route Filtering.

- MIB v2 for BGP-4

- Augment the BGP multiprotocol extensions to support the use of
multiple concurrent sessions between a given pair of BGP speakers.
Each session is used to transport routes related by some session-
based attribute such as AFI/SAFI. This will provide an alternative
to the MP-BGP approach of multiplexing all routes onto a single
connection.

- Support for four-octet AS Numbers in BGP.

- Revisions to the BGP 'Minimum Route Advertisement Interval'
deprecating the previously recommended values and allowing for
withdrawals to be exempted from the MRAI.

- Advertisement of multiple paths for the same address prefix without
the new paths implicitly replacing any previous ones. Each path is
identified by a path identifier in addition to the address prefix.

- Revised error handling rules for optional transitive BGP attributes
so that a BGP speaker is no longer required to reset the session
over which a malformed attribute is received. Provide guidelines
for authors of documents that define new optional transitive
attributes, and re-assess procedures for existing optional
transitive attributes

- Specify Link Bandwidth Extended Community for use in unequal cost
load balancing.

- The definition of an "Accumulated IGP Metric" attribute for BGP
to report the sum of the metric of each link along the path.
This attribute is for use in a restricted environment where:
- all ASes are subject to the administrative control
- some form of tunneling is used to deliver a packet to its next
BGP hop
- where the path for a route leads outside the AS to which the
BGP speaker adding the attribute belongs.

- Advertisement of the best external route in BGP to assist with
resolution of the next hop in the chosen data plane.

Goals and Milestones:

Done Submit to BGP Capability Advertisement to the IESG
Done Submit BGP Security Vulnerabilities Analysis to IESG as an
Informational
Done Submit BGP4 MIB to IESG as a Proposed Standard
Done Submit BGP4 document to IESG as a Draft Standard
Done Submit Extended Communities draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
Done Submit BGP Graceful Restart to IESG as a Proposed Standard
Done Submit revised text on Multi-Protocol BGP (rfc2858bis) to IESG as a
Draft Standard
Done Submit Subcodes for BGP Cease Notification Message to IESG as a
Proposed Standard
Done Submit 4-byte AS ID to IESG as a Proposed Standard
Done Submit Outbound Route Filter and Prefix ORF draft to IESG as
a Proposed Standard
Done Prefix and ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
Aug 2010 Submit AS-wide Unique BGP Identifier for BGP-4 as a Proposed
Standard
Aug 2010 Submit Dynamic Capability for BGP-4 to IESG as a Proposed
Standard
Aug 2010 ASpath ORF draft to IESG as a Proposed Standard
Aug 2010 Submit MIB v2 for BGP-4 as a Proposed Standard
Nov 2010 BGP Support for Four-octet AS Number Space (revised version)
Nov 2010 Revisions to the BGP 'Minimum Route Advertisement Interval'
Nov 2010 Advertisement of Multiple Paths in BGP
Nov 2010 BGP Link Bandwidth Extended Community
Nov 2010 Advertisement of the best external route in BGP
Dec 2010 Submit Multisession BGP as a Proposed Standard
Dec 2010 Error Handling for Optional Transitive BGP Attributes
Dec 2010 ASpath ORF
Dec 2010 Revise WG charter
Mar 2011 The Accumulated IGP Metric Attribute for BGP
Mar 2011 Base BGP specification (RFC 4271) as Full Standard