Subject: [Idr] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities-00

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 23:58:03 +0200

FYI.

We plan to discuss this in next IDR WG meeting in Maastricht, but all 
comments are welcome to the list before the meeting.

Many thx,
R.

A new version of I-D, draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities-00.txt has been 
successfully submitted by Robert Raszuk and posted to the IETF repository.

URL:  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities-00

Filename:	 draft-raszuk-wide-bgp-communities
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Wide BGP Communities
Creation_date:	 2010-07-04
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 25

Abstract:
Communicating various routing policies via route tagging plays an
important role in external BGP peering relations.  The most common
tool used today to attach various information about routes is
realized with the use of BGP communities.  Such information is
important for the peering AS to perform some mutually agreed actions
without the need to maintain a separate offline database for each
pair of prefix and an associated with it requested set of action
entries.

The problem arises for customers which are assigned a 4 octet AS
numbers as current definition of BGP communities are of total of 4
octets in length.

This document proposes the solution to this problem by defining new
type of BGP Extended Community attribute which is to be used to pass
routing policy information between peers.  Such new type could be
used to pass existing routing policies which are communicated today
by Internet Service Providers in standard BGP Community Attribute
which have two octet AS numbers as well as those which already got
assigned 4 octet AS numbers from their respected Internet routing
registries.

The IETF Secretariat.